After Brexit how do will we “Control our Borders”

I’m someone who voted to remain partly because I like the concept that people should be able to Live in any part of the world they choose, but I have to accept the will of the people and clearly getting “Control of our Borders” played a big part in the country voting to leave.

But the now the dust is starting to settle and our politicians need to get on with delivering this and it’s got me thinking exactly how will this be done.

As far as I can see there are 4 key scenarios that need addressing:

1. Who will we allow in

2. Who will we allow to stay

3. Who will we negotiate for the opportunity to move abroad

4. What will we negotiate for those already abroad

My opening gambit would be to continue to allow free movement, but I’d like the opinions of those who voted to remove this without it degenerating into arguments about Racism.

Serious question then what should our politicians negotiate now.

We had control over our borders before the vote.

1. Who will we allow in
Either the same as have long been allowed under non-EU immigration rules, which apply value/contribution-oriented selection criteria, plus (after actual Brexit) the EU immigrants ran through the same non-EU immigration rules.

Or less than, after restricting the value/contribution-oriented selection criteria.

Besides all those non-EU immigrants with in-force visas at the material time (either by the time Article 50 is triggered or by the time Brexit actually happens), then EU immigrants already in.

Unless the UK wants to see all of its EU-based diaspora forcibly returned to sender.

Considering the age pyramid of that diaspora (of approx. 3 millions) and its associated healthcare requirements, I expect that the extra £350m a week promised to the NHS might come in handy :D

If I understand this to mean, 'with which countries will the UK try to negotiate easy emigration', then ideally, no change to current arrangements with non-EU countries, and negotiate with the EU (since there will still be a sizeable chunk of the EU27 under Schengen, so it makes sense to negotiate about it with the EU as a whole).

Failing that, then a deal with the EU/Schengen bloc, and either a group negotiation or individual negotiations with the non-Schengen members.

See (2) and (3) above.

"Reciprocity" will be the name of the game. It was not hyperbole of May, then Fox, to claim that EU nationals residing in the UK (and by extension UK nationals residing in the UK) are pawns in the Brexit negotiation. It was, and remains, an objective statement of fact, because a de facto situation until either the UK Government or Brussels or both agree on the matter. As unpalatable as it is.

These are questions which, like several others, will need to be settled long before March 2019.

Edited by L00b

I’m someone who voted to remain partly because I like the concept that people should be able to Live in any part of the world they choose, but I have to accept the will of the people and clearly getting “Control of our Borders” played a big part in the country voting to leave.

But the now the dust is starting to settle and our politicians need to get on with delivering this and it’s got me thinking exactly how will this be done.

As far as I can see there are 4 key scenarios that need addressing:

1. Who will we allow in

My opening gambit would be to continue to allow free movement, but I’d like the opinions of those who voted to remove this without it degenerating into arguments about Racism.

Serious question then what should our politicians negotiate now.

We voted to leave the EU, which means the UK will be returning to the situation as it was pre 1973, before we joined the EEC, when there was no free movement.

We had control over our borders before the vote.

People are much richer now, they will pay £1,000+ to get into this land of Gold.

Do we have border guards? Never seen any in Filey or Scarborough ;)

We voted to leave the EU, which means the UK will be returning to the situation as it was pre 1973, before we joined the EEC, when there was no free movement.
No. It means that, as of 23 June 2016, a majority of those who voted in the referendum wanted the UK to exit the EU.

Going back to the 1970s, the 1960s, the 1950s, the Empire days, abolishing free movement, etc, etc. are all interpretations of the referendum outcome by various opinionated/self-interested groups and persons. And nothing more.

No. It means that, as of 23 June 2016, a majority of those who voted in the referendum wanted the UK to exit the EU.

Going back to the 1970s, the 1960s, the 1950s, the Empire days, abolishing free movement, etc, etc. are all interpretations of the referendum outcome by various opinionated/self-interested groups and persons. And nothing more.

There can only be one fair interpretation of the democratic EU referendum result, which is to return to the status quo pre 1973.

Do we have border guards? Never seen any in Filey or Scarborough ;)

Border guards operate at ports and airports. Any other stupid comments?

There can only be one fair interpretation of the democratic EU referendum result, which is to return to the status quo pre 1973.

Does that mean we can be racist, homophobic and slap the wife about with impunity?

Does that mean we can be racist, homophobic and slap the wife about with impunity?

That's what the swivel eyed gob frothers are hoping for - the 'good old days' :rolleyes:

That's what the swivel eyed gob frothers are hoping for - the 'good old days' :rolleyes:

Well there's 3 day weeks to look forward to, which means a 4 day weekend. I can go to Blackpool an paddle (in raw sewage). Who says I can't be positive!

Well there's 3 day weeks to look forward to, which means a 4 day weekend. I can go to Blackpool an paddle (in raw sewage). Who says I can't be positive!

You going to walk there? The fuel prices will be astronomical the trains will be on strike and you can look forward to staying in a fleapit hotel.

Assuming that you get any holiday and the boss lets you take it of course.