Plastic £5 notes now in circulation

Why is there no polymer £50 not being produced?

We just don't seem to make good enough use of the £50 over here.

Edited by geared

The change in notes is to flush out the hoarders!...Bet £50s will soon become obsolete..........so get under the bed quick and get rid!

The change in notes is to flush out the hoarders!...Bet £50s will soon become obsolete..........so get under the bed quick and get rid!

They better not do!! :shocked:

In London, £50s are used far more often than elsewhere.

overseas, £50 notes are also the ones that foreign exchange dealers want to have. Some forex guy in Bangkok would much prefer to receive £500 in the form of 10 £50s, than 25 £20s, although nobody would give a better price for a UK £50 note as opposed to a UK £20 like they can give better prices for a US $100 bill than they do for a US $20.

In London, £50s are used far more often than elsewhere.

Maybe because cash machines don't give out the 50 note you just don't see them as often?

I have a shop in Sheffield and have received only a handful of £50s in like the past ten years.

they were all tourists, who received the £50 when they were outside the UK, or people from London and the south east. I ask them for ID before I accept it, suspicious that it might be a forgery. I think I can always tell if I examine it properly, when a £20 is a forgery but not so sure when it is a £50.

I think that at least some London ATM's may well dispense £50s.

The new(est) £50 does have quite a number of anti-forgery components to it, but the issue is knowing what to look for and what a fake may look like.

The Bank of England produce a few bits about what to look for in a genuine note, but as for what fakes look like...............

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Documents/kyb_lo_res.pdf

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/current/security_50.aspx

I've accepted a smattering a smattering of forged £10s and £20s, mostly because I was just lazy and didn't examine them properly. With nearly all of them it should have been obvious that they were fake. £20s I nearly always take a few seconds to look at to check, £10s not so much.

I received a particularly good fake £20 in March, even when it was called up as a fake at the bank, I didn't immeadiately see what was wrong with it, so this year I have been on the lookout for fakes even more than usual.