Coffee - Ground vs Instant?

Here goes, My son has received the latest , greatest all bells ringing coffee machine for Christmas .

The thing is I just can not get my head around all the utter time wasting, nerve stretching ,foot tapping time it takes to produce what is basically just a cup [more like egg cup] of coffee be it Brazilian,Colombian or outer Mongolian bean that is ceremoniously spread across the shiny top portion of this glittering £400 edifice .

I mean when I need a cup of this very basic pick you up I reach into the kitchen cupboard unscrew a gold topped jar obtainable from the corner shop [instead of a ten mile trip to some posh parade in a nice part of Town] simply ply in a spoonful, add water ,milk and sugar to taste and away you go max time one minute flat.

Instead at sons machine a drink ready person has to watch the lights light up .the gurgling and hissing start and then after around twenty minutes you are presented with a cup [eggcup] of black sludge that sends all the intellectuals in our family into rapturous applause .I just don't get it!

Can't you taste the difference between instant coffee and real coffee?

... after around twenty minutes you are presented with a cup [eggcup] of black sludge...

I hope he's got the receipt because that machine's clearly broken.

Can't you taste the difference between instant coffee and real coffee?

Yes;) the instant is smooth the other is an illusion .

---------- Post added 27-12-2015 at 12:40 ----------

I hope he's got the receipt because that machine's clearly broken.

It is a do Longi .

So you can taste the difference?

i can't speak for home coffee machines but I do love a cappuccino in my local coffee shop, and it can't be replicated at home with any instant!

Just had a cup of Percol brand ground coffee made in a cafetiere. Far superior to any instant that I know of.

Edited by fatrajah

Tea is better.

But a coffee is nice occasionally, and ground coffee is usually better than instant. There are some nice instant ones about though recently.

A £400 machine is too much for home use.

Best do like the Italians do at home and use a Moka, costing around £12.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot

I own a Bialetti Moka Pot and a relatively cheap Coffee Machine (non-Pod type). It's difficult to achieve a 'crema' using the Moka, the coffee machine achieves this every time.

Even the 'premium' instants cannot match a Moka/Coffee Machine produced coffee for taste and texture.

Thanks. Ive not had a pot of proper coffee for a while. This thread has given me the kick up the bum to get the grinder out and brew something rather special.