Cyclists Keep Back !!

Do you agree with the new HGV/PCV cyclist advisory sign?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the new HGV/PCV cyclist advisory sign?

• Yes, the new sign is clear and "to the point"
    • No, the new sign make me feel like a second class citizen

Heard an interesting topic on Jeremy Vines show on Radio 2 this lunchtime. Cyclists are annoyed that the "CYCLISTS. Beware Of Passing This Vehicle On The Inside" stickers have been replaced with "CYCLISTS KEEP BACK" on the rear of lorries and buses.

Most riders who phoned or texted in were complaining that this new slogan is arrogant on the part of the motorist.

Do you think this sign is offensive, or does it make a clear statement of the dangers riders face?

Heard an interesting topic on Jeremy Vines show on Radio 2 this lunchtime. Cyclists are annoyed that the "CYCLISTS. Beware Of Passing This Vehicle On The Inside" stickers have been replaced with "CYCLISTS KEEP BACK" on the rear of lorries and buses.

Most riders who phoned or texted in were complaining that this new slogan is arrogant on the part of the motorist.

Do you think this sign is offensive, or does it make a clear statement of the dangers riders face?

Its a clear statement of the dangers riders face.

Its a clear statement of the dangers riders face.

I agree, but an awful lot of riders were enraged by the new slogan.

I agree, but an awful lot of riders were enraged by the new slogan.

An awful lot of riders are idiots who get enraged on the roads too easily too.

An awful lot of riders are idiots who get enraged on the roads too easily too.

A whole lotta drivers like that too, but they are in machines easily capable of dealing death too!

A whole lotta drivers like that too, but they are in machines easily capable of dealing death too!

Excuse me but this thread is about enraged cyclists. If you have a problem with motorists then post on the appropriate thread. If one isnt available then make one.

Excuse me but this thread is about enraged cyclists. If you have a problem with motorists then post on the appropriate thread. If one isnt available then make one.

I'm just keeping things even sided, valid response to your comment surely!

I have a fair few motorcyclist mates who are / get enraged because of car / van / lorry drivers, they don't just get enraged for no reason!

I'm just keeping things even sided,

No you arent. You are trying (and failing as i wont respond after this post) to change the focus of the thread to something you prefer. Thats not how it works. Ill report any more of your off topics offerings :)

This is where it turns a bit. We should all be aware of the dangers on the road, and at the same time we should all be responsible for our actions. I wouldnt dream of cycling down the inside or a lorry or bus, yet in London its common place, and excused as "Filtering". There is a difference between rights and common sense. I think the new signage is a real head turner, and hopefully will help riders make a sensible choice of where they position their bikes whilst they are "Filtering".

Maybe the signs should read - Warning I rarely use my indicators. :hihi:

Anyway here's some helpful advice from the Derbyshire Police Force

It’s your responsibility as a driver to avoid hitting the cyclist, not the responsibility of the cyclist to avoid getting hit by you.

It may come as a surprise to most drivers but cyclists have as much right as drivers to take up the entire lane. You will often see cyclists riding side-by-side, and you, as a driver, may think they’re being selfish by doing so. But the fact is the cyclist is actually reducing the risk of having an accident

Turning left is how most accidents occur. A cyclist may appear - perfectly legally - beside you while you’re waiting impatiently at a red light. It’s not at all illegal for cyclists to filter on the left or right of lanes but it is often difficult to spot them.....

It might be worth researching the subject a little more.

Earlier this year, TfL agreed to remove the 'keep back' signs from all their vehicles, to request all private operators to do the same and to consult on an acceptable alternative.

What has changed to warrant Mr Vine picking up the topic?

Guest sibon
Maybe the signs should read - Warning I rarely use my indicators. :hihi:

Anyway here's some helpful advice from the Derbyshire Police Force

This interpretation of the Highway Code gives a pretty even handed account of the rights and responsibilities of both cyclists and car users.

It isn't what many on here want to hear, but it amounts to "use the road sensibly and with regard for others. You don't have the sole use of the road whether you are piloting a tonne of metal or a zero emission eco-warrior machine. Now behave and look out for each other"

---------- Post added 06-11-2014 at 22:57 ----------

I think you should research your subject a little more.

Earlier this year, TfL agreed to remove the 'keep back' signs from all their vehicles, to request all private operators to do the same and to consult on an acceptable alternative.

What has changed to warrant Mr Vine picking up the topic?

I drove through London last week. The number of HGVs with the stickers on was striking.