Seven-year-old boy living as a girl

I haven't read the details of this case but, just to put the other point of view, I'd like to think that any parent living with their child, a) Would always have the best interests of that child at heart, and b) knows that child better than anybody.

I also think that some children know from a very early age what gender they feel themselves to be. And that, sometimes, it isn't the gender to which they have been assigned. Rare, to be sure, but it happens.

The irony is that people who insist on the child waiting till they're 18 to decide, will ensure that the child will have missed the ideal time for gender realignment treatment (not surgery) to begin, which is far less traumatic if it begins sooner rather than later.

Lady Colin Campbell was one such child. Raised as a boy until she was 16, at which time she was able to begin treatment. She says she knew from a very early age she was a girl, although she was medically male.

Transgender is not a matter of wearing blue or pink or playing with dolls or playing with hammers.

It is a fundamental part of how a person perceives themselves and how that relates to their physical bodies.

Absolutely, but the very basic ideas that boys must not play with dolls and girls don't play with lego, and so on with everything else is generally a pretty corrosive and divisive one anyway that only helps to reinforce gender stereotypes and makes life more difficult for anyone who doesn't fit straight into those categories.

Here is my point, a child should not be encouraged by anyone to act as the opposite gender

And that is the point the forum's amateur psychologists are missing or ignoring.

Thank goodness, that the High Court Judge in the original link has the common sense to stop the encouragement and the boy now has a better chance to grow up normal.

Absolutely, but the very basic ideas that boys must not play with dolls and girls don't play with lego, and so on with everything else is generally a pretty corrosive and divisive one anyway that only helps to reinforce gender stereotypes and makes life more difficult for anyone who doesn't fit straight into those categories.

These gender identities have been formed naturally, without force. There will be some cross-over, boys are better at some things, girls other things.

I haven't read the details of this case but, .....

Lady Colin Campbell was one such child. Raised as a boy until she was 16, at which time she was able to begin treatment. She says she knew from a very early age she was a girl, although she was medically male.

You haven't read the details of Lady Colin's case either.

She has always been female.

I haven't read the details of this case but, just to put the other point of view, I'd like to think that any parent living with their child, a) Would always have the best interests of that child at heart, and b) knows that child better than anybody.

I also think that some children know from a very early age what gender they feel themselves to be. And that, sometimes, it isn't the gender to which they have been assigned. Rare, to be sure, but it happens.

The irony is that people who insist on the child waiting till they're 18 to decide, will ensure that the child will have missed the ideal time for gender realignment treatment (not surgery) to begin, which is far less traumatic if it begins sooner rather than later.

My understanding is that she was always medically female but because she had a deformed clitoris her parents thought she was a boy, so raised her as a boy.

" chance to grow up normal "

"Normal " , what is it ?

Gender diversity is a global phenomena- a valid part of human expression. To fall outside of a gender stereotype doesn't make that expression abnormal -in my opinion.

I don't want to stoop to putting words into your mouth. But are you hinting that the child is abnormal ?

Additionally, as expressed by the Gender Spectrum /custody issues. It is possible that the legal people dealing with custody, have zero knowledge/understanding of childhood gender expansiveness. And arrive at a decision-based upon their own prejudices.

Edited by petemcewan
Fixed quote tags

" chance to grow up normal "

"Normal " , what is it ?

Gender diversity is a global phenomena- a valid part of human expression. To fall outside of a gender stereotype doesn't make that expression abnormal -in my opinion.

I don't want to stoop to putting words into your mouth. But are you hinting that the child is abnormal ?

Additionally, as expressed by the Gender Spectrum /custody issues. It is possible that the legal people dealing with custody, have zero knowledge/understanding of childhood

gender expansiveness. And arrive at a decision-based upon their own prejudices.

Gender diversity is a trend, a fashion, a way to increase attention, there are very few actual real cases the rest are simply individuals jumping on the "expressive" bandwaggon, children are guided by parents and if that parent has an agenda then........:roll:

Edited by nikki-red
Fixed quote tags

These gender identities have been formed naturally, without force. There will be some cross-over, boys are better at some things, girls other things.

I've seen no evidence to suggest how they have been formed, but they are very much reinforced by some parents, and particularly so by generations gone by.

Boys are told to stop playing with dolls, they are told not to cry, they are praised for intelligence.

Girls are told not to play rough, they are bought dolls and play houses, they aren't criticised as much for expressing emotion and they are invariably praised for being pretty instead of intelligent.

---------- Post added 24-10-2016 at 16:39 ----------

Here is my point, a child should not be encouraged by anyone to act as the opposite gender

You are confusing gender with biological sex.

Gender diversity is a trend, a fashion, a way to increase attention, there are very few actual real cases the rest are simply individuals jumping on the "expressive" bandwaggon, children are guided by parents and if that parent has an agenda then........:roll:

Transgender people are real and this is far from being a trend. It is more to the fore these days because it has become more acceptable to come out as trans. more so than ever before and so more and more people who previously could only choose to live in relative misery can now come forward and get the support they might need and live openly as Trans without as much stigma being attached.

On your last point, I'd have thought it's far and away more likely that a parent's agenda would militate against transgenderism in a child.

And that is the point the forum's amateur psychologists are missing or ignoring.

Thank goodness, that the High Court Judge in the original link has the common sense to stop the encouragement and the boy now has a better chance to grow up normal.

It'll only be a matter of time before one of these cases goes the other way, common sense is defeated, these idiotic occurances whereby the brainwashed "free thinking" lefties don't use their brains are getting ever more present in our courtrooms/law/city halls/town halls/schools/hospitals/police stations etc etc and they don't half come up with some radical ideas !

---------- Post added 25-10-2016 at 00:31 ----------

I've seen no evidence to suggest how they have been formed, but they are very much reinforced by some parents, and particularly so by generations gone by.

Boys are told to stop playing with dolls, they are told not to cry, they are praised for intelligence.

Girls are told not to play rough, they are bought dolls and play houses, they aren't criticised as much for expressing emotion and they are invariably praised for being pretty instead of intelligent.

---------- Post added 24-10-2016 at 16:39 ----------

You are confusing gender with biological sex.

No. No, I think you're confusing gender with a warped view on common sense that's enhanced by a love of loving everything that's in a minority or oppressed without opening your eyes

Edited by pretty_big