Speed awareness courses

Sounds like you need to go on one of these courses.

But firstly I'd have to caught speeding. :roll:

Why do you say that?

Go on the course, it is cheaper in long run, fine and posts mean you have to tell your insurance company which means you pay more for that. Its a one of fee of £90 and you don't have to tell your insurance company. Its 4hrs of your time, why not try it.

As I said, back at post #58

So why not make the Course available to all drivers (e.g. at cost-price if driver has no points/convictions at all)?

Yes, excess speed kills and maims in many cases.

Answer: teach people before that happens.

Encourage them by arranging a discount on renewal of car insurance for all Course-trained drivers.

do really believe people would go on one ?

do really believe people would go on one ?

If it reduces the insurance premium payable, yes.

the cost of these course are between £60 to £90's , can not see any insurance going down by say £110, to make it worth attending one.

the cost of these course are between £60 to £90's , can not see any insurance going down by say £110, to make it worth attending one.

Your reasons for asking the question/for professing not knowing why anyone would go on the course are not clear.

The reason most people go on one is stated by the attendees is to avoid the points on their licence.

It might be their d/l that is at stake and, with that, their job or their clean licence "pride".

They may even approach such a course with an open mind to learning something. And many report, after the event, that they benefitted from the refresher.

There are plenty closed minds, though, in this world.

As for insurance costs, can you see premiums rising with points on your licence?

Most people assume 'cos they've past their test they know enough.

I'm fortunate i've had advanced training provided and speed awareness courses - i know i don't know enough and the Highway Code and rules have been tweaked slightly in 3 decades of driving.

I would never have voluntarily attended either course.

I still drive above the speed limit.

I think concentration on speeding has made lots of drivers lazy and dangerous,they think just because they're doing 25 in a 40 or less than 70 on the motorway they a)are driving well and b)aren't a danger to others.

Your reasons for asking the question/for professing not knowing why anyone would go on the course are not clear.

The reason most people go on one is stated by the attendees is to avoid the points on their licence.

It might be their d/l that is at stake and, with that, their job or their clean licence "pride".

They may even approach such a course with an open mind to learning something. And many report, after the event, that they benefitted from the refresher.

There are plenty closed minds, though, in this world.

As for insurance costs, can you see premiums rising with points on your licence?

my answer was really in reply to Jeffery

I thought that's what the IAM's Advanced Driving Test was for.

Aren't there several advanced type driving tests, and not all insurance companies recognise the different tests either.

I remember my friend did the pass plus course, only to find out it made naff all difference to his insurance premiums.

I remember my friend did the pass plus course, only to find out it made naff all difference to his insurance premiums.

So surely it's therefore up to the insurers to incentivise their policyholders.

So surely it's therefore up to the insurers to incentivise their policyholders.

That they don't implies that people who go on such courses aren't significantly less likely to have an accident than those who do.

Those who go on a course to get cheaper insurance are less likely to apply, or even remember, what was taught on the course than those motivated do so because it improves their driving. They'll still have the same likelihood of an accident.

Insurance companies aren't going to give discounts unless it saves them money. I'm not sure your idea will do that.