Serious legal action needed against car owners who park on pavements

On the other hand...

Some roads (like the one I live on) are too narrow for large vehicles to pass if cars do not park on the pavement. Therefore if there was an emergency (such as a house on fire further up the road, which has only one entrance) then a fire engine could not get through. We have already experienced similar with lack of bin collections and deliveries for example.

But obviously, inconveniencing somewhere with a pushchair is much more serious than, oh, saving someone's life for example.

And for the record I have a drive so don't park on the street. I'm just saying that I can see reasons it happens.

Yesterday I went to visit at the Hallamshire Hospital. I parked opposite The Francis Newton pub on a single yellow line. All the cars were parked with 2 wheels on the sidewalk. If you parked any other way you would prevent buses and ambulances getting past. The problem with this bit of road is that home owners leave out their black and blue bins 24/7 and these block the sidewalks more than the cars.

If cars were not supposed to park here it would have double lines, but I'm at a loss to know how it is possible to park without obstructing something.

Prime example...

http://tinypic.com/r/2ldqgz/9

Plenty of room to the left - infront of the grey car on the left, and lots behind it (where i'm stood)

yet they insist on parking on the pavement, JUST so they are as close to their front door as they can be...

Prime example...

Plenty of room to the left - infront of the grey car on the left, and lots behind it (where i'm stood)

yet they insist on parking on the pavement, JUST so they are as close to their front door as they can be...

It's a prime example of idiocy - unless there's a cracking reason the rest of us aren't privy too, that's a piece of rubbish and selfish parking.

It's a prime example of idiocy - unless there's a cracking reason the rest of us aren't privy too, that's a piece of rubbish and selfish parking.

It's not just the car on the right, there's a big drinks delivery van in front of it, also on the pavement, JUST before the next junction (so passing this, and crossing the road in front of it is even more dangerous :S)

You can park on the pavement, it's when your parking causes an obstruction that the law comes into the equation....

Yet, in most cases, manoeuvring your vehicle into such a parking position will involve breaking the law.

Are you trying to be ignorant or is it natural?

Parking on the pavement is fundamentally not illegal. Tell me which legislation states that parking on the pavement is illegal if no other parking restriction is in place. Wait you can't because none exist. Go and get some education and then come back.

Driving on the pavement is though. And it's difficult to park without driving first, unless you're in the habit of using a crane to get your car into position...

interesting tweet from west midlands police Springfield neighbourhood . West Midlands police have been doing a lot of work to protect vulnerable road users ...see other thread

Parking across the pavement and totally blocking it is unacceptable & inconsiderate. Fixed Penalty Notices have been issued to both vehicles

https://twitter.com/springfieldWMP/status/789076372421484545/photo/1

Interestingly the first vehicle has left a gap that some would call acceptable.

they issued £30 fp but they have been asked if they are using using 137 HA 1980 with max fine £1000 in reserve. -(Section 137 of the Highways Act 1980, as amended wilfully obstructing the free passage of a highway)

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN01170/SN01170.pdf

I believe Sheffield Council were looking at bringing in a TRO to make all pavement parking illegal within the city centre . I think that has stalled . I dont know how they define city centre. Within the IRR maybe?

I guess that it was the way they'd driven entirely onto the pavement and through some bollards that made it more likely they'd be fined.

I have only just joined but i have realised already that rogets is the forum troll.:hihi::hihi:

So there isn't any car crime in nice areas. Are you on crack? And besides you're telling to park my vehicle away from my nice area! Can I park on your driveway?

Try this - you can park on a pavement if it isn't an obstruction and people can get through easily.

Not forgetting wheelchairs and prams, oh yes, and the vehicle isn`t restricting sightlines at junctions etc.

I can remember we went swimming at Ripon Pool in N Yorkshire. There they had objective rules for whether got a ticket for parking on the pavement, your vehicle had to be a certain distance away from the wall, I think it was about four feet. If it was less than that you got a ticket, and you frequently did actually get a ticket, and rightly so. Why can`t they do that all over the country ?

---------- Post added 25-10-2016 at 11:42 ----------

Prime example...

There`s an extreme example of this on Dodd St just behind our shop. A guy insists on parking his car absolutely bang in line with his house. The problem is the double yellows finish about a third of a car`s length further on, thus wasting parking space. It`s interesting to wonder just how many car parking spaces are wasted because people park too far from the car in front or behind, it must be thousands just in Sheffield...... However, the guilty party is not always obvious because you don`t always know who got there first and what order the cars were parked.

There's one car near me that is always parked half on the pavement, meaning I have to squeeze between it and an adjacent conifer bush. The owner has a driveway, but doesn't appear to use it ever. I have to play dog poo roulette when walking through the gap when it's dark too.

There's one car near me that is always parked half on the pavement, meaning I have to squeeze between it and an adjacent conifer bush. The owner has a driveway, but doesn't appear to use it ever. I have to play dog poo roulette when walking through the gap when it's dark too.

Is there room to push a large pram or wheelchair past it ? If not I`d report the vehicle to the police.