Bosch electric mower problem

I am trying to repair an electric mower, the blade spins, but not freely.

I believe it cut out when in use because of this. I have oiled the spindle from underneath, and its a little better.

I would like to know what I am getting into, before I take it to bits. Never done this before, any ideas?

Have you checked for any tangled string/wire etc?

Have you checked for any tangled string/wire etc?

All looks ok in that regard.

This is a thing that doesn't move and should, so WD40.

I also have a solution if you find anything which moves but should not.

This is a thing that doesn't move and should, so WD40.

I also have a solution if you find anything which moves but should not.

I did that first, and then a few drops of oil, but not sure what type of bearing a lawn mower has.

Electric and oil are not very good together.

If it's not working strip it.

You can't loose.

Worst case you'll earn some knowledge, best case you'll fix it.

Just unplug it first, don't force anything, see if there is a youtube video of that(might be in polish or russian, but video will be same).

If there is no video learn about every component as you go and you might develop some sort of engineering skill.

I have just built a wooden bench in my back garden, so I can take things to bits, leave everything in place, cover it with a tarpaulin and take my time without my kitchen covered in clutter.

I did that first, and then a few drops of oil, but not sure what type of bearing a lawn mower has.

Electric and oil are not very good together.

There's no problem with electric and oil...it's used to cool large transformers..it's a fairly good insulator as I understand it..

Edited by truman

There's no problem with electric and oil...it's used to cool large transformers..it's a fairly good insulator as I understand it..

Depending on type of oil and contaminants, but in general this is correct although not advisable.

Depends on the model, but it could be a belt driven blade-shaft rather than direct drive. Usually the bearings are ball-race type. As said, needs dismantling to examine.

There is usually some resistance when the blades are turned (unplugged from mains!) but if it is more than normal then there is something amiss, unless it was a type that had a blade clutch that wasn't releasing.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bosch+electric+mower+motor&client=firefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjn8uip2JjOAhXLLMAKHe-BAnkQ_AUICSgC&biw=1280&bih=584#imgrc=9JRtttyF_RG5tM%3A

I have managed to remove the blade, I was thinking I would see more by going further with stripping it down; but I think the brushes are accessed for the other end. I have removed 3 screws, but not sure what they secure.

The blade is in a poor state. Watching a clip on youtube, there is also a fan on the underside, but its not a Bosch.

Check for anything tangled around the blade at the back of it, a big problem with electric mowers is people tend to use them when the grass is damp and thick this tends to put a lot of strain on the motor the motor gets hot and the windings and commutator over heat causing them to expand and get tight.some times you can smell the sort of plastic burning smell in the motor..you might be able to strip the motor and clean it up and lubricate it,but they usually pack up and burn out...best to get a petrol mower...