The Riseing cost of Funeral.

I have read that there has been a steep rise in local authority burial's and cremation's which have pushed the average cost of a basic funeral up to £3,956, according to insurer Sun Life Direct.

The basic cost of a funeral in the UK has increased again for the 10th year running, according to an annual survey which reveals that the key expenses associated with dying have soared by 80% since 2004.

Looking forward, if funeral costs continue to rise at the pace seen in the last decade, by 2024 the cost of a simple funeral will have almost doubled to £6,713.

Now middle-aged Britons are being urged to plan now for their funerals as rising costs mean they could end up forking out £25,000 for a funeral or more in 30 years' time depending on how lavish your funeral is.

With this in mind has anyone considered taking out one of these Funeral plan's and are there any hidden pit falls to be weary of.

"Remember it’s not the cough that carry’s you off it’s the coffin they carry you off in." :)

I'm sure there are cheaper ways of disposing of a dead body. Green burials, no coffins, hole in the ground sort of stuff.

Why pay for a bloke in a frock who never ever met the deceased plus a re-used coffin with plush interior?

My dad told me to just chuck him in a hole - obviously there are health and safety rules but, if that's what he wants.

Donate your cadaver to the teaching hospital.

Providing you are intact and have no infectious disease you will be ok for students to practice on.

Donate your cadaver to the teaching hospital.

Providing you are intact and have no infectious disease you will be ok for students to practice on.

Yeah right. . . if you were intact and had no infectious disease, you'd probably still be alive :)

I'm sure there are cheaper ways of disposing of a dead body. Green burials, no coffins, hole in the ground sort of stuff.

Why pay for a bloke in a frock who never ever met the deceased plus a re-used coffin with plush interior?

My dad told me to just chuck him in a hole - obviously there are health and safety rules but, if that's what he wants.

We have paid for two plots in a meadow at Ulley no service just the pub afterwards for them still here.

We paid on the weekly for three years and it cost around three grand we get a couple of cars and a cardboard or straw coffin plus a tree of your choice planted on top of you.

We did it through Peice Funerals .

You can come if you want:hihi:

Edited by samssong
i before e except after p

I have read that there has been a steep rise in local authority burial's and cremation's which have pushed the average cost of a basic funeral up to £3,956, according to insurer Sun Life Direct.

It's really all marketing, and 'what they would like', rubbish. It's a con and it's expensive because people pay for 'what they would like' so they don't look like cheapskates - a bit of a circular issue.

I'm with post 2 (taxman's father). My preference would be the cheaper one of chuck my corpse in the river/sea, however health and safety and all that. Set fire to my remains in some field (donor card, meds can do what they want, I wont care), hire out a place (or just a few quid for a corner of a very small pub :hihi:) for my friends to have a few beers, and that'll do me.

It's really all marketing, and 'what they would like', rubbish. It's a con and it's expensive because people pay for 'what they would like' so they don't look like cheapskates - a bit of a circular issue.

I'm with post 2 (taxman's father). My preference would be the cheaper one of chuck my corpse in the river/sea, however health and safety and all that. Set fire to my remains in some field (donor card, meds can do what they want, I wont care), hire out a place (or just a few quid for a corner of a very small pub :hihi:) for my friends to have a few beers, and that'll do me.

Save the Earth plant a tree tha"l never dee wi that ont top or thi

I have recently started a bit of research because I want to leave my body to medical science. After I'm dead they can do whatever they wish with it. I want no fuss etc and certainly don't want a funeral director making a huge profit out of my death. :thumbsup:

I have recently started a bit of research because I want to leave my body to medical science. After I'm dead they can do whatever they wish with it. I want no fuss etc and certainly don't want a funeral director making a huge profit out of my death. :thumbsup:

I did the same. Sheffield University has a cadaver unit where you can sign up but as someone has already stated they will only take cadavers that are still whole and have not had any autopsy. The reason I have opted for a direct funeral instead as there is no guarantee that they will take the body and it costs around a grand.

I was thinking about leaving my body to science too as I don't have kids so chances are I'd get a paupers burial anyway.

As for costs, I attended one funeral last year that Michael Fogg did and it cost £1500...top notch service. I then attended a funeral done by another local director...that cost about £3000 and it was terrible!