How can we legally defend ourselves if attacked?

In light of the many attacks in France and Germany , it might be a good time to discuss ways in which us ordinary people can legally defend ourselves when attacked, without falling foul of the law.

We can't use pepper spray if attacked on the street (illegal) . However , I'm suffering from arthritis and carry a Deep Heat spray around to ease the pain. Could I be charged if I used my spray as self defence?

Looking into Krav Maga courses too, pretty sad that this is necessary.

Anyone got other self-protection suggestions?

I think you're letting yourself be terrorised. We should just go about our business as usual, anything else is giving in.

I do think in future the protocols for self defence will be

- If you are going to be shot, you need to stand next to a wall and put a white piece of paper next to your heart

- If you are to be stabbed, no offensive comments to be made during th stabbing

- If you are to be punched to death, you aren't allowed to punch back

- If you inflict an injury on your attacker you will be sent to prison

Nothing has changed. You can use reasonable force to defend yourself, this can include improvised weapons. You cannot carry offensive weapons with you (and this includes anything you intend to use as a weapon by definition).

In light of the many attacks in France and Germany , it might be a good time to discuss ways in which us ordinary people can legally defend ourselves when attacked, without falling foul of the law.

We can't use pepper spray if attacked on the street (illegal) . However , I'm suffering from arthritis and carry a Deep Heat spray around to ease the pain. Could I be charged if I used my spray as self defence?

Looking into Krav Maga courses too, pretty sad that this is necessary.

Anyone got other self-protection suggestions?

Situational awareness is a useful tool.

How can you defend against a bomb, or speeding truck or a group with assault rifles? You can't is the short answer. Deep heat might be useful against a mugger or a lone knife wielding maniac. I don't know if it's legal but if it went to court I wouldn't find you guilty if I was on a jury ;)

---------- Post added 26-07-2016 at 22:09 ----------

I do think in future the protocols for self defence will be

- If you are going to be shot, you need to stand next to a wall and put a white piece of paper next to your heart

- If you are to be stabbed, no offensive comments to be made during th stabbing

- If you are to be punched to death, you aren't allowed to punch back

- If you inflict an injury on your attacker you will be sent to prison

Prize for the greatest amount of rhubarb in a single post goes to you!!!!

Tinfoil Hat.... You would make an excellent juror , let's hope it never comes to that! How about an archery practice that tragically goes wrong?? Are bows n arrows illegal?

This question remainds me of the Tim Martin case and the questions it raised. Do we have the right to defended ourselfs and property we own, the law is not clear in parts what's is meant by 'reasonable force' and if we used force would the court accept that as lawful? Iv known criminals sue the victim for assault and won as the court judged the victim used excessive force.

Edited by crookedspire

Most bus travellers are given the materials to make an improvised self-defence weapon every day, for free.

Basically the end of a rolled-up newspaper is a very effective self-defence weapon.

This instructional video will show you the ropes

This question remainds me of the Tim Martian case and the questions it raised. Do we have the right to defended ourselfs and property we own, the law is not clear in parts what's is meant by 'reasonable force' and if we used force would the court accept that as lawful? Iv known criminals sue the victim for assault and won as the court judged the victim used excessive force.

Could you show a link of a case where a criminal has taken a private prosecution and won? I thought that was an urban legend.

I've seen the odd case of a householder going over the top, running after a burgler and giving him a thrashing for stealing (despite not being in any danger at this point) and being charged by the police though.

If me or my family are in grave danger I'll do whatever it takes to defend us, screw the law.

If me or my family are in grave danger I'll do whatever it takes to defend us, screw the law.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried out by 6.

This question remainds me of the Tim Martian case and the questions it raised.

Bet the EDL were in a lather over his immigration status.