Npower - advice needed

I am posting this message on a number of internet forums to see if anyone else has had similar problems with NPower and hopefully be able to offer any advice as to my next move.

I moved into my current property in Dec 2011 with a friend. NPower had provided the house with both gas and electricity so, to make things easier, we continued to use them as our supplier. We payed by fixed direct debit and Npower gave us an estimated bill. I presumed that this was based on usage by the previous tenant.

Over the next 12 months or so, NPower never contacted us to provide meter readings and we continued to pay our direct debit.

Earlier this year, I was looking through my bank statements and I noticed that in Sept 2012 NPower had taken £230 out of my account with no notification. I contacted NPower and they were confused as to why this had happened but said that it would remain in my credit. I was not happy about them taking money without my permission and asked for it to be paid back but they refused. I then contacted my bank and they returned the money into my account.

Around this time, I was getting a little concerned about our estimated bill. The house has an AGA and I had been hearing stories about how much energy they use. My housemate was moving out in a few months so I wanted to sort out the energy bills so we could settle it before she left. I contacted Npower in March 2013 and gave them the meter readings and they promised I would have a new bill and a more accurate direct debit amount within 14 days. This did not happen.

I phoned them back and the person I spoke to said they didn't know why this had not been done but they would ensure it was done within another 14 days. Again, this did not happen.

This went on repeatedly for the next 3 months. More promises and more lies. Then, out of the blue, I received a final reminder for a bill I had not received saying I had 14 days to pay. I contacted NPower and they did not know why I had been sent this and that I should ignore it. I again asked for the bill and they promised I would receive it within 14 days and sorry for all the inconvenience. Again, it did not appear.

By this point, we were getting desperate as our contract was about to expire on the house and we needed to decide whether we wanted to renew or not. The house is fine but we needed to know just how expensive the energy was before commiting to another year. I explained this to NPower and the person I spoke to worked out what the debit would be 'to the nearest pound'. He said we would owe about £400. As this had built up over an 18 month period, it seemed ok so we took out another year on the house. However, 5 months since requesting a bill, we still had not received one.

Whilst recently in India, I noticed in my gmail account that 'MY NEW NPOWER BILL WAS AVAILABLE'. 5 months after asking for it. No apology, no explanation. Just a bog-standard bill saying that I owe over £1000 and I had a week to pay it. (In fact there were 2 bills, both giving different amounts and then the amount owed according to my online account is different still). There's no way I can just hand over £1000 and I wouldn't even if i could after the non-service and treatment we have recieved. My housemate has left and we have now signed up for another year in a house we cannot afford.

Anyone offer any advice about what I need to do before I contact NPower would be greatly appreciated.

All I can offer is my sympathies in dealing with this horrendous lying scum bagging company!

I have been in and out of court with them for the last year trying to resolve issues which they created and some of the things they have done and lies they have told would make your toes curl.

They have broken every damn policy in their own guidelines and continue to get away with it.

My partner and I are now landed with a bill for over £3000 from these dogs and hell will freeze over before I give them a damn penny.

The have lied under oath and have broken into my house whilst my 14 year old son was there alone, they pinned his 12 year old therapy dog to the floor with a wire neck restraint frightening her so much that she urinated on herself.

The police will do nothing as it is a civil case and the company have just denied and lied every doing things.

I really hope you get this sorted but I have a funny feeling it is going to be a long bumpy ride for you, my next step in my sorry mess with them is to go to the press and expose them for what they really are :mad:

OMG, what a nightmare. They have already caused so much stress and many hours sat waiting on the phone for them to answer and to just feed me the same BS every time. I stopped my direct debit cos I figured the only way to get these scumbags to listen to me was if i stopped paying them. I've tried to switch to EON but it says it may not be possible if i owe money to my current supplier. I don't want to give them another penny. I would rather pay more to not be with npower.

OMG, what a nightmare. They have already caused so much stress and many hours sat waiting on the phone for them to answer and to just feed me the same BS every time. I stopped my direct debit cos I figured the only way to get these scumbags to listen to me was if i stopped paying them. I've tried to switch to EON but it says it may not be possible if i owe money to my current supplier. I don't want to give them another penny. I would rather pay more to not be with npower.

Been there done that matey, they do not care and I know all about the waiting on the phone, the longest time I have been on hold trying to get through to someone was 5 hours and 23 minutes....yup, over 5 sodding hours!!!!!

I hate them with a burning passion and like you cannot get away from them while there is a balance on the account.

I cancelled all direct debits and told them in no uncertain terms to eff right off until they can sort the mess out they made, well over a year later we are still no further on :(

N power are a complete joke had similar issues myself

Npower are a law until themselves.

No they're not, as the advice in the link tells you, they take advantage of people not knowing their rights.

No they're not, as the advice in the link tells you, they take advantage of people not knowing their rights.

They lie under oath and the judge gives them what they want, I have been into court countless times with enough evidence to have my case thrown right out but some of the judges and power companies are in this together. My last court date with N power was on the 8th August and the judge was changed at the last minute, needless to say the N power Representative physically paled when told this and for the first time in over a year I got a fair hearing and they went away with their tails between their legs.

They dont deal in individual complaints :(

Their site gives a link to ombudsmen service energy who will investigate a complaint. Sorry can't do links. It's on the consumer page under complaints.

Edited by dhs1