Lowcostholidays gone bust

as far as I know this isn't a chargeback matter but i believe that visa include some free insurance for this kind of thing as part of their offering. i've no idea if that's correct or not, while my bank uses visa cards i've never had to go through anything like this process.

As far as I know, no such insurance exists. Hopefully people can get their money back though.

As far as I know, no such insurance exists. Hopefully people can get their money back though.

indeed, i was under the impression there was some help available for visa debit card users, credit card users will have options under the sale of goods act

Can anyone shed any light on the report that holiday makers will only get £7.60 each back? I thought these firms had to be ABTA members and this covered you if the company went bust.

One thing to note, always book on your credit card. This way you are protected. We had something similar a few years ago where the company we booked through called Villa Parade went bust. Our insurance didn't cover insolvency even though it did cover for cancellation. Insurance company refused to pay. We found a way round it in the end by the person who actually booked the holiday for us (it was a group booking) had insurance that did cover insolvency.

Insurance companies seem to be pretty crap on these kinds of issues too. We booked insurance the following year and when I asked Sainsburys Travel insurance customer services did it cover insolvency, the guy couldn't tell me. His advise was to buy the insurance and then read the documentation :rolleyes:

Edited by Berberis

They were an ABTA member until Nov 2013. Then they moved their operation to Spain and so were no longer an ABTA member. Many people who used them over many years probably never noticed this change (I didn't) and so continued to believe they were in ABTA. Luckily, I've been booking direct in the last year or so so haven't been affected by LCH's collapse.

They were an ABTA member until Nov 2013. Then they moved their operation to Spain and so were no longer an ABTA member. Many people who used them over many years probably never noticed this change (I didn't) and so continued to believe they were in ABTA. Luckily, I've been booking direct in the last year or so so haven't been affected by LCH's collapse.

I thought in order to operate in the UK they had to be a member of ABTA.

I thought in order to operate in the UK they had to be a member of ABTA.

Nope. Here's a comparison of the relevant extracts in the small print of my booking documentation, the first from Aug 2012 (when they were UK based) and the second from Jan 2014 after they had moved their operation to Spain:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Lowcostholidays.com is a member of ABTA, the Association of British Travel Agents. We act as agent in relation to your booking as set out above. Your booking will be financially protected by the Civil

Aviation Authority (under ATOL number 6516) in the event that you have booked a Flight-Plus arrangement with Lowcostholidays. Please note that flight-only reservations for low cost flights booked via

Lowcostholidays are not protected under the ATOL Scheme. Please see our general terms and conditions for further details on ATOL protection.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Your booking is subject to our terms and conditions, to which you agreed when you made the booking. Please note that this does mean that if you wish to change your booking you will be subject to

amendment charges and if you wish to cancel you will be subject to cancellation charges.

We are established in Spain. Spain, just as the UK does, has financial protection requirements for travel companies. We comply fully with those financial protection requirements. We are licensed with

Spanish registration no AVBAL/636

Lowcostholidays Spain, S.L.

c/ Ada Byron s/n - Edificio Estel Parc Bit07121 - Palma de Mallorca,

Lowcostholidays Spain, S.L. is registered in the Register of Companies of Palma de Mallorca, Volume 2546, Book 0, Register 97, Sheet PM-72380, Entry 1

CIF: B57813248, BAL Number: AVBAL/636

Has anyone received a refund from their bank who paid via debit card yet please?

We booked our holiday to Turkey with lowcost holiday's and we were in Turkey when they went bust on the 15th, Our flight's were safe but we had to pay 3 day's accommodation and transfer back to the airport. We can claim back the extra cost that occurred because we paid for the holiday on master card.

Brilliant.I have just been on my TSB website to transfer some wages and £546.11p and £52.00p has just been paid in today from Visa debit from what i had paid through Lowcostholidays

Fantastic news and we are still going to the same hotel on the same dates as we booked flights with easyjet.

Even better is that we are £15.60 better off as Hoppa gave us a 30% discount for the demise of lowcostholidays if we rebooked our transfers with them.

Smelling of roses springs to mind.LOL

I have also received my money back from Halifax after paying on Visa Debit. Feeling very lucky and have certainly learnt my lesson about paying for such expensive things on Debit Card - credit card for me from now on!

I remember a few years back there was a period where a lot of holiday companies were going bust and the government of the day, passed a stupid law which punished people like us who always booked atol protected, because instead of advising people to book with atol protected agents they put 2% on everyone's bill to cover for people who couldn't bothered to pay a bit more to cover themselves, so has that system now finished? It sounds as if it has. Or does it only apply to UK companies and not UK holiday makers ?