Swapping to sunglasses when driving

This is a question for people who wear prescription glasses and drive.

How do you handle putting on and taking off sunglasses SAFELY while driving? For a while I had prescription sunglasses. They were fine if I could put them on before I started driving and keep them on the whole time, but in reality I often need to swap -- e.g. when sun goes behind thick clouds they come off, or when I go into a tunnel. It's too fiddly to swap while driving.

I tried clipons but they are even more fiddly.

I have a pair of over the glasses shades like these (https://www.amazon.co.uk/BLACK-POLARISED-GLASSES-SUNGLASSES-PRESCRIPTION/dp/B006TTO124/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469709327). They work well but my other half refuses to let me wear them on the grounds that they are too goofy looking even for me.

What do the rest of you four-eyes do?

My husband always has reactolite lenses in his normal glasses. They are more expensive than normal lenses but they automatically dim / brighten so only the one pair is needed. He's had reactolites for years now and wouldn't go back to normal lenses for anything.

Thanks Francy,

When they brighten, do they go all the way clear? They used to go to a light yellowish colour which I don't like very much.

My husband always has reactolite lenses in his normal glasses. They are more expensive than normal lenses but they automatically dim / brighten so only the one pair is needed. He's had reactolites for years now and wouldn't go back to normal lenses for anything.

They also don't work whilst driving as they react to UV which the windscreen removes most of.

In answer to the OP, it takes 2-3 seconds to swap glasses so easily done whilst stationary sat a traffic lights. Alternatively pull over where safe to do so and swap then.

My husband says his reactolite lenses DO react inside the car ( he wouldn't bother paying the extra money if they didn't ) The efficiency may depend on the colour of lense you choose ? because there are several shades to choose from. My husband always has a grey tint.

Another newer type are called Transitions XTRActive and I believe these react a bit faster but are more expensive.

It's strange because some people ( like my husband ) swear by them but others say they don't work !! :cool:

In answer to your question : My husband's lenses return to normal... although he has a grey tint lense, you wouldn't know as it is so subtle.

Edited by francypants

Sounds like it would be better to speak to your optician in that case. There may be lenses available that react to visible light instead of UV.

I don't change mine on a whim - i've just driven back from Llangollen this morning, left in bright sunshine with sunglasses on(prescription) changed them at Telford 'cos it was dull.

My husband says his reactolite lenses DO react inside the car ( he wouldn't bother paying the extra money if they didn't ) The efficiency may depend on the colour of lense you choose ? because there are several shades to choose from. My husband always has a grey tint.

Another newer type are called Transitions XTRActive and I believe these react a bit faster but are more expensive.

It's strange because some people ( like my husband ) swear by them but others say they don't work !! :cool:

In answer to your question : My husband's lenses return to normal... although he has a grey tint lense, you wouldn't know as it is so subtle.

Yes. My reactolite varifocal lenses react very fast too. They take a while to get used to and I would say, when you first get them wear them for a couple of hours before you drive but I wouldn't be without them now.

I had to borrow my OH's non-prescription sunglasses the other day that he'd left in the car because the sun was really low and I could not see. I just put them on top of my own glasses, and flipped them onto the top of my head when it got dark again. Trouble is, I always forget they are on my head and then he moans at me for not leaving them in the car :hihi:

i now use poloroid flipdown sunlenses. fantastic for sun and night driving

They don't work well in cars because the glass blocks the UV light that causes them to darken.

Contact lenses would work though, then just put shades on like normal.