Npower - advice needed

I posted here a couple of weeks ago regarding an ongoing issue with Npower. (http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1214985).

I took on another contract in the house I am in based on the information Npower gave me about my energy usage. Then a couple of months later I got an actual bill (after asking for 5 months) which was over £1000 more. They offered me compensation of £40 which I told them was laughable. If I were to leave this house, I would lose my deposit of £600 or I can stay here and pay ridiculous bills (it has an aga, why anyone would have one I have no idea). My decision to stay was based entirely on Npower telling me that my bills were not actually that bad, which was entirely not the case.

So, now they have upped their compensation to £150. This is their final offer. If I refuse it, I can go to the ombudsman. But what happens then? Am I, in effect, gambling the £150 they have already offered or would the ombudsmen, at the worst, just say I have to accept their offer? Anyone been in this situation? ta.

You are gambling the £150, basically.

The ombudsman could find whatever outcome they see fit, which could range from no compensation to absolutely having Npowers pants down.

Mod Note:

Threads merged.

Please do not make duplicate threads and provide any updates in existing threads.

Thank you

Npower give you the option to take your own meter readings, usually every 3 months.

I have never had any major problems with them.

The only complaint I have is that the last time they came, they only read the electric meter.

You can check your bills quite easily online.

Npower have not ever taken any meter readings, this is part of the problem. I have been asking for a bill for 5 months after finally they took some readings from me.

Npower have not ever taken any meter readings, this is part of the problem. I have been asking for a bill for 5 months after finally they took some readings from me.

You can easily do it online yourself.

It only takes a few minutes once you've created an online account which is very simple.

They will even email you if they want a reading.

Some meters are not easy to read. Mine is a clock dial one. Rather than the easy numbers. When I asked N-Power how you read the dial ones, they wouldn't tell me. Which made it impossible for me to submit a reading without someone coming out to read it.

My new supplier provided me with verbal instructions and a leaflet how to read the dial one.

Npower gave me an estimated bill and never contacted me for readings. I couldn't find my gas meter and neither could they when they came to do a service. Every time I've given them readings, they have been ignored.

Some meters are not easy to read. Mine is a clock dial one. Rather than the easy numbers. When I asked N-Power how you read the dial ones, they wouldn't tell me. Which made it impossible for me to submit a reading without someone coming out to read it.

My new supplier provided me with verbal instructions and a leaflet how to read the dial one.

It's ages since I've seen one of these.

You should see 6 clocks (i think)

They are read separately, clockwise then anticlockwise etc.

So, if the hand on the first one it between 5 and 6 then the number is 5.

The numbers are reversed on the next clock, but you still take the lower number.

The last clock, to the right, may be a different colour so that can be ignored.

It's usually the decimal place reading.

Of course, you meter may be different from my old meter (not in Sheffield)

Npower gave me an estimated bill and never contacted me for readings. I couldn't find my gas meter and neither could they when they came to do a service. Every time I've given them readings, they have been ignored.

Are you sure you have gas???

Edited by Gleadly

N power have taken £1600 out of my sons bank and credited him with £1600 credit on his gas meter. He found this out by chance. This was his rent money for the next few months. This is the second time they have done something similar. It is being investigated but it takes 28 days and his rent is now overdue. His home is now under threat. OFCOM can't do anything till the 28 working days are up. My son is at his wits end and I cannot afford to pay his rent for him. Why is this company still unable to keep ripping people off this way.

There is an energy ombudsman who will adjudicate. You may need to exhaust Npower's complaints procedure first. I would give up on ordinary contact now and just focus on formal complaints. I hope you have kept details of dates and times of these conversations and who they were with. Npower are a shambles and prove that market forces don't work to improve standards, if that were true they'd have gone bust years ago.

N power have taken £1600 out of my sons bank and credited him with £1600 credit on his gas meter. He found this out by chance. This was his rent money for the next few months. This is the second time they have done something similar. It is being investigated but it takes 28 days and his rent is now overdue. His home is now under threat. OFCOM can't do anything till the 28 working days are up. My son is at his wits end and I cannot afford to pay his rent for him. Why is this company still unable to keep ripping people off this way.

Go and see CAB or the law centre to see of they cna push it any further. In the meantime go off direct debit and back to standard pay until you get reassyrance from them they wont do it again.