Spelling mistakes and the validity of an argument.

I have heard it said more than once on this forum that pointing out someones spelling mistakes shows that your arguments lack validity.

I hold the belief that an argument is valid because of the accuracy of the premises, the logical conclusion drawn from such premises and/or the validity of the data that those premises are derived from.

Spelling mistakes posted on here in my opinion, show that a person is not even competent enough to use the spell checker that is built in to Sheffield forum. I feel this lack of competence calls in to question their ability to analyze and disseminate information accurately.

Though pointing out spelling mistakes may seem a little pretentious, often words are miss-spelled in such a way as to become entirely different words with different meanings. Unfortunately some people on here think that to ask for clarification (or point out such incompetence) is to immediately invalidate your position in whatever argument you happen to be having. Presumably, even if it is an argument about the other person being poor at spelling.

Do the people of Sheffield really believe this? Or are we smarter than that?

(Bonus points for anyone who points out my spelling mistakes in this thread)

Spelling mistakes posted on here in my opinion, show that a person is not even competent enough to use the spell checker that is built in to Sheffield forum. I feel this lack of competence calls in to question their ability to analyze and disseminate information accurately.

Try using a UK dictionary with your spell checker. :hihi:

the spell checker that is built in to Sheffield forum

You may find that is down to your browser, not SF;).

I have heard it said more than once on this forum that pointing out someones spelling mistakes shows that your arguments lack validity.

I hold the belief that an argument is valid because of the accuracy of the premises, the logical conclusion drawn from such premises and/or the validity of the data that those premises are derived from.

Though pointing out spelling mistakes may seem a little pretentious, often words are miss-spelled in such a way as to become entirely different words with different meanings. Unfortunately some people on here think that to ask for clarification (or point out such incompetence) is to immediately invalidate your position in whatever argument you happen to be having. Presumably, even if it is an argument about the other person being poor at spelling.

Spelling mistakes can demonstrate a lack of attention to detail - it's possible to assume that a similar lack of attention to the argument itself may [or may not] have been applied - and therefore can look at the argument as a whole - and find it remarkably easier to demolish someone else's manifesto on that basis.

It's one thing to talk in leet (l33t). It's also O.K. of someone has a generally poor grasp of English.

It's very different if they are promoting themselves as intelligent persons capable of understanding politics or economics yet they are unable to right click words underlined in red and select the correct spelling.

It is also different when they spell out words with different a meaning to that which they intend to convey and consequently write a nonsensical sentence.

I wouldn't mind this in itself, but when they assume your argument is invalid because you have pointed out their incompetence, that simply shows they are idiots, Correct?

Try using a UK dictionary with your spell checker. :hihi:

I prefer to use American spellings.

Spelling mistakes can demonstrate a lack of attention to detail - it's possible to assume that a similar lack of attention to the argument itself may [or may not] have been applied - and therefore can look at the argument as a whole - and find it remarkably easier to demolish someone else's manifesto on that basis.

I agree, but the common response you see on here is similar to this response MrSmith gave me a moment ago...

"When you resort to pointing out spelling mistakes it’s a certainty you have lost the argument"

Does this kind of response serve to further undermine their argument? I think it does.

I find the more racist a person is when posting on here, the more likely they are to suffer in the spelling department. I have also observed that many people who post about football also appear to lack a grasp of good English.

You know what. That was a daft post. This is a discussion forum. Not every poster has the benefit of loads of education but absolutely every poster who sticks to the forum rules has the right to their opinion.

As it’s me you are trying to bate I thought I would respond.

dyslexia

A general term for disorders that involve difficulty in learning to read or interpret words, letters, and other symbols, but that do not affect general intelligence.

Edit did I spell bate wrong should it have been bait.

As it’s me you are trying to bate I thought I would respond.

dyslexia

A general term for disorders that involve difficulty in learning to read or interpret words, letters, and other symbols, but that do not affect general intelligence.

"Bait" - Food or lure placed on a trap or hook.