Why is sports news taking over from real news?

On the BBC news today there was a sports news item as the headline. It was about some footballer making racist comments. I've noticed that sports news has gradually become more prominent and has infiltrated real news more and more.

I can accept that some sports news will be headline news like when terrorists attacked the Munich Olympics or the Hillsborough disaster, but anything that isn't a matter of life or death and only of interest to sports fans should be reserved for the traditional sports slot at the end of the news.

I'm not interested in any sport and news of some thicko footballer making racist comments neither surprises nor interests me.

I'd be interested in others opinions and I'll also be making a complaint via the BBC website.

I hate football, a player would have to detonate a nuclear bomb for me to take any interest.

On the BBC news today there was a sports news item as the headline. It was about some footballer making racist comments. I've noticed that sports news has gradually become more prominent and has infiltrated real news more and more.

I can accept that some sports news will be headline news like when terrorists attacked the Munich Olympics or the Hillsborough disaster, but anything that isn't a matter of life or death and only of interest to sports fans should be reserved for the traditional sports slot at the end of the news.

I'm not interested in any sport and news of some thicko footballer making racist comments neither surprises nor interests me.

I'd be interested in others opinions and I'll also be making a complaint via the BBC website.

What on earth for? I have never heard such a rediculously petty thing.

What in your opinion should be classed as headline news then?

Some news is serious, some funny, some trivial and plenty just filler. Its how it works. Who said that every headline has to be high importance or breaking news. There are only so many stories to go around each day and 90% of them too bloody boring or complicated for broadcast.

Personally, I am glad its made news because a highly paid, high profile footballer who is an alleged role model is making racist comments. Its unacceptable behaviour and it clearly should not be tolerated. This particular footballers needs making an example of.

That's why it makes headline news. If it was some other high profile person such as the queen or prime minister making racist comments wouldn't you not expect them to make news too? Its hardly trivial.

News is a 24 hour rolling operation that has to be kept editorially interesting for the viewer. You cant spend all day talking about the recession or european crisis etc. - people would tune out.

Odd then that you're interested in the opinions of others on a subject that holds no interest for you.

Why is sports news taking over from real news?

Football is the national sport , the national captain is to be charged with making a racist slur hence the reason another player getting banned for the same “crime” is big news at the present time ……. If it wasn’t for the former the later wouldn’t have stayed on the back pages of the newspapers.

Edited by Grandad.Malky

It may be interesting, but it's hardly important. I can think of more pressing matters than what one person reportedly said to some other person that someone else says was probably offensive.

I think the reason why it took the main story was that the CPS's decision was being anticipated all day, and that it was the announcement that was breaking news.

I get far more annoyed when the BBC use the news to shamelessly plug their own programmes. How many times recently have they interviewed a Strictly Come Dancing contestant on BBC Breakfast News? How is this news?

I don't think that this applies just to sports, the news is now dominated by celebrity social gaffes, faux pas and gossip, whether it's sports people, reality TV careerists, A listers, Z listers, musicians, actors, TV presenters et al. Any social impropriety or ill advised of the cuff comment seems to make headline news, particularly if it involves making racist or sexist comments. Remember the furore around Carol Thatcher's 'golliwog' comment? There are plenty of other examples that are too numerous to cite.

Odd then that you're interested in the opinions of others on a subject that holds no interest for you.

I don't get what you mean. The subject of news priority interests me a lot and that's what's being discussed.

My point is that sports news was always reserved for the last 5 minutes of any news programme and increasingly it is making its way into the main body of the news. Nothing that happens in sport is that important.

Qualify real news.

I think real news does not involve"celebrity" lifestyle, i think serious issues such as racism should be covered, after all it got Big Brother massive publicity and that programme really doesn't deserve air time or newsprint space

I feel the same way about entertainment news being classed as real news. It's just not the right place for it!

I agree with the OP wholeheartedly, and I'm a sports writer!

I hate football with a passion, and I can't stand it when people refer to Manchester beating Birmingham, or Liverpool playing Tottenham, but don't mention which sport they're talking about.

I assume it's darts? Or perhaps shuffle board?

Qualify real news.

I think real news does not involve"celebrity" lifestyle, i think serious issues such as racism should be covered, after all it got Big Brother massive publicity and that programme really doesn't deserve air time or newsprint space

Sport and entertainment are fluff and froth. Real news is the important stuff that is going on, the stuff that will make the history books of the future.