Sign in to follow this  

The Simpsons - still good?

Did anyone watch the Simpsons trip to England on Sky 1 this evening? When they first released it in the USA it caused quite a bit of press of here, but having now watched it, I can't see what the fuss was all about? I'm starting to agree with those who say the Simpsons is going more and more downhill in terms of originality and humour.

Anyone agree/disagree?

It is a bit predictable after you're familiar with all the catchphrases and trademarks. I still find the repeats on BBC 2 funny though.

Yeah, anything from series 3 to 6 I think is absolutely wonderful. Its always just the right balance of cynicism and feelgood.

It has disappeared a little up its own backside of late. But its been a lot more enduring than just about any other show I can remember.

didnt watch that perticular episode but i do still think the Simpsons are good

even though they are repeated lots

though they have started a new series on BBC2 now

I know what you mean, after all these years they gotta be running low on ideas

Its still tho i think pretty much the best thing on tv & even though later epidsodes arnt quite upto the high standards they set themselves in earlier seasons its still a quality show

Episodes as a whole may not be quite as classic as earlier ones but you know you are always garanteed a lot of great moments. Just come from a new Film Forum at http://www.more2movies.com & there's a page on there listing favourite Simpsons quotes which I found wicked, check it out its always good for a laugh

The Simpsons will probably go on & on... a good thing? I dunno

Not as good as it used to be, still ok though.

I think the creator has been paid for another 4 seasons. I still think its one of the best programmes on tv! anyone think of anything better?

It still makes me laugh, there have been a couple of episodes in the latest series that have been really good, up to the standards of The Simpsons of old.

The older Simpsons were genuinely hilarious - Homer was a complete buffoon, and there were plenty of appearances by the not-so-regular characters (eg Duffman and Captain McAllister :thumbsup: )

Sadly, most of the newer Simpsons cartoons are not worth watching. The producers are lowering the tone with too much violence, swear words and sexual references for my liking (surely we don't all need to hear the word crap and watch cartoon characters snogging and bonking at 6pm?).

Homer is no longer the lovable buffoon of old but instead has turned into an annoying obnoxious (sp?) idiot - rather like how Ruby Wax went downhill.

Bart is no longer a cheeky little scamp but a hooligan who needs a good flogging and a spell in a youth detention centre.

And as for Marge, she's no longer the long-suffering devoted wife and mother but a complete bitch.

The cartoon is now filled with way too many political references and cheap insults and altogether it's simply not as good as before.

Or perhaps I'm getting older (and wiser :) )