Sign in to follow this  

The BBC: Can things get any worse?

Tonight I swiched on my TV to BBC 1 and the programme on was called "Celebrity Dog School". Basically it consisted of people who used to be famous (like Ronnie Corbitt) and people who think they are famous (like Linda Barker) walking their dogs.

Is this really the best entertainment TV companies can provide? Why are they obsessed with "celebrities"? Who really wants to watch Tony Blackburn trying to light a fire in the jungle, or Jeremy from Airport making an omelette, or Rick from Pop Idol running around a field?

The news is just as bad. I expect Breakfast news to tell me the serious issues of the day, but all they seem to do is read out text messages and promote other BBC programmes.

Lord Reith would be turning in his grave if he could see what passed for quality TV today.

I think it's a bit harsh how you've highlighted the BBC. ITV and Channel 4 are much worse.

I fully agree with what you are saying here. In answer to your question yes I think the standards can deteriorate further still.

Originally posted by Sidla

I think it's a bit harsh how you've highlighted the BBC. ITV and Channel 4 are much worse.

Maybe, but I don't have to pay a tax to keep those channels in business.

Originally posted by Sidla

I suspect it's possibly got something to do with licence fees why the Beeb has been highlighted

I don't see why you're complaining. I think in general the output of the BBC is good. If something looks like it's going to be crap I just don't watch it. What I do watch on the BBC I think is very good. I must say that getting 'celebs' to train their dogs does seem like a crap idea, but you have to remember that this is a part of Children in Need.

Do what I did, get rid of your TV. It's very liberating!

I did it for these reasons.

Me, radio 4, and a CD collection get on much better!

The dumbing down of the BBC over the last few years has been clear for all to see. You need only look at their various news programmes to see this. BBC Breakfast in particular is going downhill fast.

"Children cannot learn to read by watching television. Television is just background noise and a distraction."

-- First Lady Laura Bush during the Republican National Convention in Philadelphia, July, 2000

Originally posted by purplepippa

Do what I did, get rid of your TV. It's very liberating!

I did it for these reasons.

Me, radio 4, and a CD collection get on much better!

This is all very well, but what if you want to watch videos, or play with a console?

the idea of Tv 'dumbing down' is nothing new.mary whitehouse in 1963 complained of declining standards and there have been numerous 'tv quality reports' since the beginning of tv saying similar things.

is telly not just a reflection of society? people out there must like watching celeb/reality/docu-crap. if not we'd change channels - or are we all 'passive dopes' who watch what we are told to?

what abbout the good stuff (the ofice, peter kay, mark thomas, have i got news for you, six feet under, sex in the city, brass eye etc)- have we not got a really diverse programming schedule in the UK?

Ms. Jones, all of those programs you have just mentioned are from the more diverse TV stations, BBC2, Channel 4, BBC3 and E4.

Two of those are only available to Digital subscribers, both of which will get the new series of some of the program's you mentioned before terrestrial subscribers do.

Now I ask, if you are left with just BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5. Would you be happy with the quality of Television?

Probably not, mainly because BBC1, ITV and Channel 5 are full of rehashed idea's that were good five years ago, but are not now.

Unfortunately, to many TV producers are getting paid a lot of money to not do a great deal, not just on the BBC but on all levels of television, and when someone does get a good idea, it gets hammered into us until we no longer like it.