Taking dead heads off Hydrangeas.

This topic comes up nearly every year on the gardening group. I was just about to dead head my hydrangeas, but now with the forecast of cold weather & snow this week end, do I now delay it.? My hydrangeas are my pride and joy, and Id hate to ruin them.

I'm delaying mine

I'm delaying mine

Well thanks Hayley, so am I .!!! :thumbsup:

Did mine a month ago and its growing nicely :) we'll see if I've done the wrong thing!

Did mine a month ago and its growing nicely :) we'll see if I've done the wrong thing!

Usually torin does the right thing, so shall I do mine this week end ?

Still holding off doing them. Its still cold isnt it ?

Lol I don't always do the right thing! Supposed to be another cold snap this week... so if you are being careful then hold off?

I pruned my hydrangea several weeks back, and was surprised at the number of ladybirds hibernating in them.

If you do prune now, take the offcuts to the veg plot near the broad beans, and keep the offcuts under wire or baskets or something - that way the ladybirds are in situ should the blackfly arrive.

I pruned my hydrangea several weeks back, and was surprised at the number of ladybirds hibernating in them.

If you do prune now, take the offcuts to the veg plot near the broad beans, and keep the offcuts under wire or baskets or something - that way the ladybirds are in situ should the blackfly arrive.

Good advice there Sally.

Still havent taken the dead heads off my Hydrangeas. Every time I go to do them, we get a cold snap. I finally hope to get them done this week, as a warm spell is forecast. Am I the last person on SF, to deadhead my hydrangeas? :)

Right, I would like to announce ,due to the sunny weather, I am at last :Deadheading my hydrangeas I ve put it off for weeks so Im finally going to do it this afternoon. Whew !!! :roll: