Should "on street" parking spaces be delineated ?

The other day I was unable to park in the bay I usually do, that`s fair enough, it`s first come first served. But what was a bit frustrating was that many of the parked vehicles were parked with big gaps (just too small to fit my car into ! ) which wasted at least two spaces in the bay, and the bay isn`t even that big, 10 cars ? However, when this happens, the only vehicles which are definitely to blame are those on the ends*, because, for those in the middle, you don`t know how the previous vehicles (which are no longer there) were parked. I reckon if everyone parked reasonably well a good 10% more parking spaces would be available. The question is if bays had marked out spaces would it achieve that ?

I`m not saying bays should be delineated, I`m just putting it up for discussion.

Oh, and can we have a driving thread which doesn`t degenerate into personal attacks.....

* Vehicles on the ends should always be parked right up to the end, if they`re half a car`s length off it they`re wasting space.

If you asked for bays to be included then you'd only moan about them not parking in the bay correctly and want enforcement methods for that too.

Motorbikes often park on the end of long bays so cars may not occupy the very end sometimes as well.

I agree it's frustrating when you see loads of gaps that are just too small for your vehicle, but I can't see a simple solution as you say, it could easily be that everyone was parked almost bumper to bumper and then a big car left and a small one parked up making it look like they left miles of space. Perhaps marked bays would help as then it would be clear how many spaces there were, but then as Obelix says it would need enforcement and the space would have to allow for the maximum length of car so you might end up with less spaces than without the lines.

The other day I was unable to park in the bay I usually do, that`s fair enough, it`s first come first served. But what was a bit frustrating was that many of the parked vehicles were parked with big gaps (just too small to fit my car into ! ) which wasted at least two spaces in the bay, and the bay isn`t even that big, 10 cars ? However, when this happens, the only vehicles which are definitely to blame are those on the ends*, because, for those in the middle, you don`t know how the previous vehicles (which are no longer there) were parked. I reckon if everyone parked reasonably well a good 10% more parking spaces would be available. The question is if bays had marked out spaces would it achieve that ?

I`m not saying bays should be delineated, I`m just putting it up for discussion.

Oh, and can we have a driving thread which doesn`t degenerate into personal attacks.....

* Vehicles on the ends should always be parked right up to the end, if they`re half a car`s length off it they`re wasting space.

If you asked for bays to be included then you'd only moan about them not parking in the bay correctly and want enforcement methods for that too.

Motorbikes often park on the end of long bays so cars may not occupy the very end sometimes as well.

What`s that, the very first post. Well done Obelix, not.

---------- Post added 01-03-2017 at 10:15 ----------

I agree it's frustrating when you see loads of gaps that are just too small for your vehicle, but I can't see a simple solution as you say, it could easily be that everyone was parked almost bumper to bumper and then a big car left and a small one parked up making it look like they left miles of space. Perhaps marked bays would help as then it would be clear how many spaces there were, but then as Obelix says it would need enforcement and the space would have to allow for the maximum length of car so you might end up with less spaces than without the lines.

I`m not convinced enforcement would be desirable, or even necessary, not for most people anyway. One does have to remember parking is a big big problem, and it`s going to get worse, we can be certain about that. What we need to do is think of new solutions, and if delineation increased the total number of available parking spaces by just 10% for not much cost, that`s surely a result ?

I reckon if everyone parked reasonably well a good 10% more parking spaces would be available. The question is if bays had marked out spaces would it achieve that ?

No. The wastage would be greater than that.

Next!

No. The wastage would be greater than that.

Next!

Are you saying the current wastage rate is over 10% ? Or that the wastage rate would be greater with delineated parking spaces ? If you`re saying the latter, why ?

What`s that, the very first post. Well done Obelix, not.

---------- Post added 01-03-2017 at 10:15 ----------

I`m not convinced enforcement would be desirable, or even necessary, not for most people anyway. One does have to remember parking is a big big problem, and it`s going to get worse, we can be certain about that. What we need to do is think of new solutions, and if delineation increased the total number of available parking spaces by just 10% for not much cost, that`s surely a result ?

Wow someones being touchy aren't they! Victim much?

Line the bays out. People will still park like nuplties because they are. All that will happen is a different problem for people to complain about. And you somehow turn that into a personal affront. :roll:

No, as a general rule it would reduce the space available, require enforcement and be an ongoing cost to paint and then to renew the spaces.

Marked parking bays reduce capacity from what I've read.

Are you saying the current wastage rate is over 10% ? Or that the wastage rate would be greater with delineated parking spaces ? If you`re saying the latter, why ?

Because it's space would need to accommodate even the largest car, so say a pickup truck at nearly 6m. Average car is around 4.5m so you'd be wasting 1.5m in each bay which is actually 33% so the 10% is possibly an underestimate.

---------- Post added 01-03-2017 at 10:44 ----------

Just build some damn car parks.

Enforce all new builds to have 2 off road parking spaces per house. All new apartments the same.

Because it's space would need to accommodate even the largest car, so say a pickup truck at nearly 6m. Average car is around 4.5m so you'd be wasting 1.5m in each bay which is actually 33% so the 10% is possibly an underestimate .

Sounds reasonable. The alternative is better driving tuition, emphasising what the gaps should be, and not to waste space, particularly at the ends of the bays......

No, as a general rule it would reduce the space available, require enforcement and be an ongoing cost to paint and then to renew the spaces.

Marked parking bays reduce capacity from what I've read.

I agree. I'm pretty sure, from the way that disabled bays are marked on road, that having marked bays would increase the 'just too small' spaces and decrease parking space.

---------- Post added 01-03-2017 at 10:59 ----------

Because it's space would need to accommodate even the largest car, so say a pickup truck at nearly 6m. Average car is around 4.5m so you'd be wasting 1.5m in each bay which is actually 33% so the 10% is possibly an underestimate.

---------- Post added 01-03-2017 at 10:44 ----------

Enforce all new builds to have 2 off road parking spaces per house. All new apartments the same.

I've been told by an architect that the problem is that doing that doesn't fit with the housing density requirements. Basically we'd need more land and to start building on green belt.

IMHO, all new builds should have cycle storage and electric vehicle provision.