Morley Street - allotments - open meeting

There will be an open meeting to discuss the land opposite to the Walkley Bank Allotments, on Morley Street.

Date and Time: Monday 2nd July at 7pm.

Venue: The community room in Rivelin Primary School (on Morley Street)

19:00hrs at The Community Room at Rivelin Primary School.

Anyone welcome.

whereabouts is this meeting room?

Just to reiterate, there is an open meeting for the Morley Street Community Orchard and Garden tonight at Rivelin Primary School (Community Room) at 7pm.

Map: http://goo.gl/maps/3ebe

Walking directions to Rivelin Primary School, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Walking directions from Hillsborough Road, Sheffield.

1. Head northeast on Hillsborough Rd toward Middlewood Rd

2. Turn right onto Middlewood Rd

3. Turn right onto Holme Ln/A6101

4. Turn left onto Walkley Ln

5. Turn right onto Morley St

Destination will be on the left

Rivelin Primary School

Sheffield, South Yorkshire

0114 234 1304 ‎

Hi everyone, I attended the meeting last night and found it really useful. I know that another meeting date is being set and once this is confirmed we will put it here for people to see.

Does anyone have any views on how we can publicise our work? We think present allotment holders, allotment holders on waiting lists and people in our local community may be interested in doing something about the derelict land on Morley Street.

I think it was a good meeting too. I really like the idea of a community space. I'm sure lots of people will agree.

Cllr Gibson seemed to be keen that this is kept local initially, and I think that's probably a good idea. Perhaps leaflets to Morley St, Manvers, Thoresby, Watersmeet, Rivelin Bank Rds (+ a few others?) and signs around the area are the best way initially? Cllr Gibson said he can get numbers of houses and print leaflets.

My feeling is that a core structure to coordinate efforts could probably be established from the people who were there yesterday. A larger meeting will need a chair and a little more controlled debate, probably some powerpoint slides to enthuse and engage people in the idea and the facts about the space. IMHO I think another meeting like yesterday with many more people might be less efficient in providing creative outcomes.

I personally feel that a clear idea of what local people want is needed. I'm not sure where most last nights atendees were from, but clearly there was a strong contingent who wanted allotment space. I have my reservations about the level of community involvment possible if this is going to be the outcome, but this is a huge space and I'm sure this sort of thing can be worked into the mix.

can you confirm which piece of land opposite the allotments.

they look out onto morley street school dont they. and the allotment hut looks onto other allotments

can you confirm which piece of land opposite the allotments.

they look out onto morley street school dont they. and the allotment hut looks onto other allotments

Do you know the area? It's the derelict land on Morley St, around where the hut is based. Almost the whole area opposite the used allotments on Walkely bank between Rivelin Bank and the set of allotments opposite Rivelin Primary is derelict/overgrown.

i know the area very well. i can see the allotment shed from my house!

i was once told that the council had purchaced that land to develop for the youth games and never got round to it.

would be nice to see it used.

Why don't you come along to the next meeting?

I don't know much about the history, but from the meeting, I think it was allotments before it was put out of use 20-25 yrs ago. Someone said this was due to a plan for supertram development. Not sure that plan still exists.

I would encourage as many people as possible to come to the next meeting or get involved especially as we are at such an early stage with ideas.

Details of the next meeting will be put up as soon as we can get it confirmed.

Hi everyone

The next meeting date is Monday 23rd July at Hillsborough Arena in their Community Room at 7pm. It is on Middlewood Road (near entrance to Hillsborough Park, S6 4HA). All welcome.

If you can't make the meeting but would like to be involved or keep in touch with what is happening then please email Anna on:

[email protected]