Nearly getting run over: hilarious!

I've noticed that if someone narrowly misses being run over and they are with someone else, they invariably turn to that person and have a reyt good laff about it. What could be more entertaining than nearly being seriously injured? I certainly can't think of anything. What is that about then?

I've noticed that if someone narrowly misses being run over and they are with someone else, they invariably turn to that person and have a reyt good laff about it. What could be more entertaining than nearly being seriously injured? I certainly can't think of anything. What is that about then?

It's a completely normal facet of human nature, to chuckle at close calls like that. It does seem a little bit weird, but so is laughing anyway, I mean think about it laughing is kind of odd behaviour. Likely evolved to help us socially but who knows anyone that tells you they can give you a full explanation for this is almost certainly just speculating.

What is certainly true though is that we laugh for plenty of reasons other than we find something funny, it's a social lubricant imo for things like coping psychologically with (in your example) a pseudo near death experience, but see above I am only speculating.

It's a completely normal facet of human nature, to chuckle at close calls like that. It does seem a little bit weird, but so is laughing anyway, I mean think about it laughing is kind of odd behaviour. Likely evolved to help us socially but who knows anyone that tells you they can give you a full explanation for this is almost certainly just speculating.

What is certainly true though is that we laugh for plenty of reasons other than we find something funny, it's a social lubricant imo for things like coping psychologically with (in your example) a pseudo near death experience, but see above I am only speculating.

I agree, people laugh for many reasons, not solely for humorous ones. A sort of involuntary action 'cos you can't process what's just gone on/about to happen.

Just like some people scream when they're having a good time (or cry when they're happy. Venn diagram time.

Yeah - spontaneous laughter and giggling is often a reaction to events that are too enormous to process quickly. I remember giggling as I struggled home in the car during the rain that led to the big floods. I remember my dad giggling when I nearly shot myself in the foot with a P7, 30 odd years ago. I thought it strange at the time.

I agree, people laugh for many reasons, not solely for humorous ones. A sort of involuntary action 'cos you can't process what's just gone on/about to happen.

Just like some people scream when they're having a good time (or cry when they're happy. Venn diagram time.

My wife is the world's worst if anyone in her line of vision falls down she is in stitches, no matter how hurt they may be . If it happens to me, the laughter lasts over a week.:(

Laughing at times of high emotion or after an adrenaline rush is common for humans and other primates.

I agree with other posters that people laughing that they've just escaped being run over is probably the adrenaline of relief. As a pedestrian I've sometimes chanced it, because I've underestimated how fast the oncoming car is, or I've assumed that the oncoming car is going to stop at a traffic light changing to red.

I do accept the point that it is infuriating to drivers who have had a near miss, to then see that person laughing and thinking it is funny.

This is Horrible I have to warn you. When my Grandfather died In answered the phone to the Person who called to tell us. I was a very young teenager at the time and I had to tell my mother when she came home. I could not do it without laughing. Naturally she was not best pleased, at being told in such a manner, that her father had died. I could not explain why at the time, but was told later it was a nervous reaction.

My wife is the world's worst if anyone in her line of vision falls down she is in stitches, no matter how hurt they may be . If it happens to me, the laughter lasts over a week.:(

I hate to admit that I'm the same. When I was (much) younger I was walking down Flat Street (not very aptly named) with my mother laden with shopping bags from the market. She tripped and stumbled forward to avoid falling. Given the slope she was soon running down the street cartwheeling shopping bags before one broke and hit the ground in front of her which she promptly fell over.

Now her knees were scraped, he hand bloody, her glasses broken and half the weeks shopping scattered in the road. But I couldn't help myself - I was doubled up in absolute hysterics!

It seems to be a common affliction.

Many years after the event I can still laugh about the time on a train returning from Minehead on a train as a teenager with my mate.

It was one of those carriages with 4 seats around a table .As the train was full we were sitting opposite a pleasant middle aged couple.

The luggage rack was double stacked with the old heavy suitcases.

When the train jolted one of the cases dropped on my mates head and whilst not unconscious he had a stunned look on his face.

I was in uncontrollable hysterics,only made worse when the lady remonstrated with me and said he could have been badly injured.

Still remember his expression as I write this.