Would you take in an homeless person if you had a spare room?

I think the majority of homeless who have drink/drugs problems are homeless for that reason, rather than turning to drink/drugs because they're homeless.

That's certainly the case with an old friend of mine, and despite being an old friend there's no way I'd let him live in my spare room. It'd just descend into a doss house for him and his mates to hang around and take drugs/drinks in like all his previous accommodations did.

While I was in worksop visiting the dentist I parked my car outside the "hope homeless charity centre". Let's just say it was an eye opener! They were queuing for a "cot for the night"? I assume this means bed? A assume they are not allowed alcohol in there due to the stashing of it in a bush in the car park opposite. Seriously opened my eyes! Quite a sobering experience I must say :(

Could you share your experience for us and the way it was organised or not as the case may be.

it wasnt an organised thing, i lived in a flat, a mate had moved out, i had a spare room.

We were walking down the wicker after a night out and met this homeless lad and lass in a shop doorway, punky dready types like we were. a welsh couple.

I invited em to come stay for a while they did, couple of months if i remember right, never really saw em tbh.

and not seen em since, the lad was called Taffy :hihi: as is always the case.

I think that we're a rich country that can afford to pay for a few refugee's and should do so inline with basic morality and our international obligations.

I'm happy that my share of tax is spent on it.

I too am happy to have tax spent on Refugee rescue and subsistence. The big question is how many and how to regulate.

---------- Post added 26-02-2017 at 20:04 ----------

700 child refugee's as were being discussed here?

Actually the OP was would you take in a homeless person! not about refugees. So two questions or rather three, would you, that is take in a homeless person.

Would you take in a child refugee?

Would you take in their parent when they turn up?

This is a far wider question than just 700 Child refugees or even three and a half thousand.

Do we need to change the law so that their parents do not have automatic right of entry if their child is here safe and sound?

---------- Post added 26-02-2017 at 20:06 ----------

Which makes it all the worse that on of the G7 nations (ie us, one of the 7 richest countries on the planet) has decided that we can't possibly take any more child refugees, they should probably just try to fend for themselves and we'll sleep okay by not thinking about them.

How many have you taken in then?

---------- Post added 26-02-2017 at 20:12 ----------

A guest that refuses to leave is not a squatter. Not in any court, ever. If you have a friend visit and they refuse to leave, you can use reasonable force to eject them, or phone the police as they are trespassing.

Edit - also a lodger never gains any tenant rights. Squatters, lodgers and tenants, all different things.

True but you try to eject someone and then be accused of assault. It would come down to a court case. Someone you might think of as a lodger because they use certain things in your home at certain times can actually be a tenant especially if they have a lock on their bedroom door and no properly written agreement that says you can move them to another room at any time.

True but you try to eject someone and then be accused of assault. It would come down to a court case. Someone you might think of as a lodger because they use certain things in your home at certain times can actually be a tenant especially if they have a lock on their bedroom door and no properly written agreement that says you can move them to another room at any time.

No it wouldn't. You have the legal right to use force to eject someone. So unless there was evidence of assault the CPS would take no action. And of course they wouldn't be in your house by that point.

If the landlord lives in the property, they're a lodger, so far as I understand it. Willing to be corrected though if you have evidence. And of course in a spare room there would be no lock on the door.

No. Not safe these days

Not safe? How so?

We have some experience of putting up homeless refugees for a charity. You have a CRB check as they are vulnerable people but they too are vetted first. You are offered some money for basics and it's up to you if you take it.

Edited by Rivelin6

No it wouldn't. You have the legal right to use force to eject someone. So unless there was evidence of assault the CPS would take no action. And of course they wouldn't be in your house by that point.

If the landlord lives in the property, they're a lodger, so far as I understand it. Willing to be corrected though if you have evidence. And of course in a spare room there would be no lock on the door.

There does not have to be a lock on the door for a person to have rights. it depends on lots of things not just one. my post elaborated on it a little.

but here is some brief Government advice.

GOV.UK

Search

Search

Home Housing and local services Being a landlord and renting out a room

Rent a room in your home

Becoming a resident landlord

The Rent a Room Scheme

Your lodger's tenancy type

Rent, bills and tax

Ending a letting

Houses in Multiple Occupation

3. Your lodger's tenancy type

The way you share your home with a lodger affects what kind of tenancy they have. This in turn affects their rights and how you can end the tenancy.

Your lodger is an excluded occupier

Your lodger is likely to be an excluded occupier if:

they live in your home

you or a member of your family share a kitchen, bathroom or living room with them

In this case, you only have to give them reasonable notice to end the letting - and you won’t have to go to court to evict them.

Your lodger has basic protection

Your lodger is likely to be an occupier with basic protection if:

they live in your home

they don’t share any living space with you or your family

If your lodger won’t leave when you ask them, you’ll need to get a court order to evict them.

The charity She

So, in the very clear case that we are discussing here, where someone uses a spare room, they are clearly not protected.

They DO share facilities, living space, kitchen, bathroom.

They ARE a lodger, not a tenant, not a squatter, and they can be removed by a simple request to leave with reasonable notice.