Knocking the price down when buying a car.

Our beloved Toyota is giving out after 15 years of faithful service.

So it stands to reason that we are inexperienced, to say the least, in negotiating a good deal from car dealers.

What is a % reduction we should aim for? 15%?

Has anyone experience of a good negotiating point of leverage?

Our beloved Toyota is giving out after 15 years of faithful service.

So it stands to reason that we are inexperienced, to say the least, in negotiating a good deal from car dealers.

What is a % reduction we should aim for? 15%?

Has anyone experience of a good negotiating point of leverage?

What car? Is it new or used? is it desirable or run of the mill? Would you be taking their finance? for starters!!

Following this as my faithful 17 yr old Toyota is also on its last wheels

If yoou're buying new then it is worth getting a quote via drivethedeal - there are some really good savings to be made - https://www.drivethedeal.com/

There are plenty of reviews online about drivethedeal.

The following post describes the process and has some notes for sceptics etc. - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1216861

I've not used them myself but personally know quite a few people that have used them and were able to get a good £2000-5000 off the vesty best price they could get from any dealers direct.

Essentially they act as a broker and are able to broker much better deals than most dealers are able to offer you themselves, you don't pay drive the deal you still pay the dealer but just pay less due to the better price brokered by drivethedeal.

I think there are other similar services out there but I only know people that have used this one.

Drive the deal or Carwow are the good places to go online, although if you go to a dealer with the price they quote some will match it

If you're buying used then some places will knock money off cars and some places will not.

Any Evans Halshaw dealer won't knock a penny off the sticker price as they price match all their cars to local main dealers.

Three things I have learnt when negotiating to buy a car;

1) never be in a rush, the dealer can tell right away

2) always shop at the end of the month not the beginning or middle.

Most dealers have quotas they want to fill, and if they aren't making it towards the end of the month they will be much more inclined to provide you will a deal that you are looking for

3) be very specific as to what you want on the car. If the dealer cannot provide it be clear then as to why you cannot meet the asking price

Good luck.

I think the end of the month bit is abit of a myth, dealers don't get that desperate at the end of the month unless they're particularly crap.

Either way any decent salesman would always try just as hard for every sale regardless of the date.

However you might get some awesome pre-reg deals around the time when numberplates change.

As mentioned, if looking for new than use sites like Carwow, that way you get dealers offering cars they have available for a good price - takes the hassle out of bargaining really. However - if you don't need finance, go for a young used car that fits in your budget. The first write-off is no problem then and you still get warranty etc.

car wow are supposed to be good, and have you tried Autotrader?

beware the 'nice salesman nasty salesman' trick, when the nice salesman you have been getting on with for 10 minutes is called away, and the nasty one arrives and puts pressure on....

I think the last car dealer we bought from was Direct Cars, and it seemed that the salesmen were not paid commission.... very pleased with them , but that was years ago.

I think the end of the month bit is abit of a myth, dealers don't get that desperate at the end of the month unless they're particularly crap.

Either way any decent salesman would always try just as hard for every sale regardless of the date.

However you might get some awesome pre-reg deals around the time when numberplates change.

I once negotiated an excellent deal at a main Honda dealer, and the manager went into his office, came back and said "We could only offer you the deal if you can pay for the car before Tuesday" (which was the last day of the month) so i think there is some truth in the end of the month advice.

However I did manage to swerve their terms and payed for it the following weekend, at the excellent deal price. :D

I would've walked on principle otherwise

Edited by Snapshot

Three things I have learnt when negotiating to buy a car;

1) never be in a rush, the dealer can tell right away

2) always shop at the end of the month not the beginning or middle.

Most dealers have quotas they want to fill, and if they aren't making it towards the end of the month they will be much more inclined to provide you will a deal that you are looking for

3) be very specific as to what you want on the car. If the dealer cannot provide it be clear then as to why you cannot meet the asking price

Good luck.

Good advice, also don't restrict yourself to local dealers, often the best deals are in another town and they usually deliver to you.

Remember they are very good at the job, they do it all day every day, it is not a bad idea to do internet research and go in with the deal you want and ask for it.

If you are taking finance they have even more profit to negotiate down.