Charity shops more expensive than mainstream shops.

The missus and i regularly visit the charity shops in our area,and they seem to be getting more expensive than mainstream shops.Are they getting greedy? Are they pressurised into squeezing as much as possible out of the general public? I did a few price comparisons last weekend on similar items,and the charity shop was the most expensive.One particular shop we frequent puts,"the price you see,is the price you pay." (no bartering) on big stickers on the items.We have put a lot of money over the charity counters in the past,but we are starting to lose faith in how they seem to be adopting a more aggressive sell.

Just slightly off topic here but regarding charity bags through the letter box.A new tactic,(in our area anyway) is offering you cash,there and then for clothing.The other one is asking you to place old phones/computers in the bag for recycling.Who in their right mind would give these people the means to use any info stored on them.

Your thoughts forummers.

for clothing.The other one is asking you to place old phones/computers in the bag for recycling.Who in their right mind would give these people the means to use any info stored on them.

Your thoughts forummers.

Just take the hard disk out of any pc you're scrapping?

Just take the hard disk out of any pc you're scrapping?

That's the sensible thing to do,but something a lot of people may not realise.

Just slightly off topic here but regarding charity bags through the letter box.A new tactic,(in our area anyway) is offering you cash,there and then for clothing.The other one is asking you to place old phones/computers in the bag for recycling.Who in their right mind would give these people the means to use any info stored on them.

Your thoughts forummers.

I suspect that you will find that these "charity bags" are not from a charity at all but some scamming company claiming to be supplying clothes etc to the needy of Eastern europe. If the bag hasn't got a charity number it isn't from a charity. Charities don't opperate as limited companies.

Does the price matter if the aim is to give to charity?

Of course it does! People use these shops to find things they can put to good use at a reasonable price, and knowing it will help the unfortunate.

One particular item i saw in the charity was a fiver more expensive than Tescos,(yes Tescos:o) This meant i could get points back, a receipt,and throw a couple of quid in the boy scouts collection tin on the way out.:P

Everyones a winner,(except the charity shop.

Charities have become big business with their top staff making a lot of money. Not only that many have huge portfolios of shares and investments too.

I suspect that you will find that these "charity bags" are not from a charity at all but some scamming company claiming to be supplying clothes etc to the needy of Eastern europe. If the bag hasn't got a charity number it isn't from a charity. Charities don't opperate as limited companies.

I always read what it says on the leaflets.If they give a percentage to charity,(which is usually pittance)Then the bag is used for my waste.

Have they really become more expensive or do they seem more expensive as a result of the mass production and relative cheapness of brand new stuff?

I know in recent years they have a massive problem getting donations in (the popularity of ebay/car boots I pressume) maybe this has some bearing.

Charities have become big business with their top staff making a lot of money. Not only that many have huge portfolios of shares and investments too.

That's right!

I live in Ayr and the town is only small,but the amount of charity shops that have opened up is ridiculous.

Have they really become more expensive or do they seem more expensive as a result of the mass production and relative cheapness of brand new stuff?

I know in recent years they have a massive problem getting donations in (the popularity of ebay/car boots I pressume) maybe this has some bearing.

That's a fair point,and one that passed me by:confused:

I don't think theres a shortage of donatees,well not in our area,(the shops are bursting with stinking items.):D

Maybe some of the forummers have, or do work in a charity shop.They

could shed a bit of light on the subject.

I think charity shops have upped their prices when they realised people are prepared to pay top dollar for "vintage" (used to be called "second hand") clothes in trendy shops like Cow.