Vauxhal corsa b 1.7 diesel hard to start

can anyone help I have a corsa b 1.7 diesel ive not had many diesels but iknow they can be a pain to start in a morning sometimes,however ive tried starting mine in a morning and it takes ages to start ive found when I turn the ignition on the glowplug light only comes on for about 2 seconds then goes off so im having to keep turning ignition on and off 20 times shouldn't the glowplug light on ignition stay on for atleast 10 seconds?ive been told there is a timing relay switch could it be this?

You shouldn't need glowplugs at this time of year. As soon as the glowplug light goes out (if it comes on at all at this time of year) the car should be ready to be turned over.

You really need to get a diagnostic check. It could be one of a dozen things and you'd be just wasting time and money throwing parts at the problem based on other people's experiences.

When was it last serviced, including fuel filter? From my experience on Peugeots it usually a dirty fuel filter not changed in years.

Has it got clear tubes for the fuel leading from the pump to the injectors?

Have a look for bubbles on first start of day.

had a car do this,was 2 glow plugs that had gone,very hard to start,replace the glow plugs,first thing i would do.

Thanks for help glow plugs do look old almost rotting if am honest took a look this morning glow plugs don't look cheap tho

Thanks for help glow plugs do look old almost rotting if am honest took a look this morning glow plugs don't look cheap tho

Should be around £10 each from any good car spares for glow plugs

Direct injection diesel engines do not require glow plugs to start, they're only needed when temperatures drop deep into the sub zero range.

In weather like we are having at the moment a direct-injection engine should fire into life just fine, even with busted glow plugs.

---------- Post added 27-03-2015 at 10:45 ----------

I turn the ignition on the glowplug light only comes on for about 2 seconds then goes off so im having to keep turning ignition on and off 20 times shouldn't the glowplug light on ignition stay on for atleast 10 seconds?ive been told there is a timing relay switch could it be this?

When the 'Glowplug' light is lit, it's actually showing you that they are warming up.

When the light then go's out they are at operating temperature and will remain on for a while.

If you wait 30 seconds or so after the light gos out you can sometimes hear a click or a clunk, that will be the relay switching off.

by furiously turning the ignition on and off again you're switching the plugs off and on again and not allowing the glow plugs to stay at operating temperature.

Edited by geared

Isn't the Corsa b diesel the Isuzu 1.7l non turbo IDI enigne??

Swirl chambers and not common rail so much lower diesel pressure so will need glowplugs to start.

Just saying...

Isn't the Corsa b diesel the Isuzu 1.7l non turbo IDI enigne??

Swirl chambers and not common rail so much lower diesel pressure so will need glowplugs to start.

Just saying...

Yea if it's indirect injection then glow plugs are required to start.

I assumed it was direct-injection, I apologise.

Edited by geared

yes I agree ithink glowplugs are needed its a x reg corsa b 1.7 d ithink it maybe the Isuzu engine idont know a lot but maybe im rong but the fella who was saying it doesn't need glowplugs unless zero sub temp just doesn't sound right but if am rong ill eat humble pie

Glow plugs & fuel filter would be where I start with this!