People who answer questions with "So"

This irritating pretentious habit seems to have crept over from America in recent years. I listened to a woman being interviewed on the Radio yesterday and every question she was asked started with "So"

I've heard it described as "Hipster speak" Whatever it is it's bloody irritating

So, what does everyone else think ? "So", irritating or not, have you even noticed ?

This irritating pretentious habit seems to have crept over from America in recent years. I listened to a woman being interviewed on the Radio yesterday and every question she was asked started with "So"

I've heard it described as "Hipster speak" Whatever it is it's bloody irritating

So, what does everyone else think ? "So", irritating or not, have you even noticed ?

I've noticed this is very common. It is a little annoying.

I like listening to The Infinite Monkey Cage (Radio 4) but it seems that every other guest they have answers in this way.

So, yes. We get a lot of young 'consultant' types from darn sarf and they all do it. Plus they end every sentence with 'are you with me'.

So, yes. We get a lot of young 'consultant' types from darn sarf and they all do it. Plus they end every sentence with 'are you with me'.
Another minor annoyance for me is the use of 'literally' when they are talking figuratively or the overuse and redundant use of the word 'actually'.

I enjoy Melvyn Bragg's programme 'In our Time' on radio 4. But it is often spoiled by the guests (who are usually highly educated people) beginning every other sentence with it.

It is getting beyond irritating. Is it another Americanism that has crept over here?

Phew I'm glad other people have heard it and are annoyed by it ! I was starting to think I was being paranoid.

I've heard it once at work at a meeting I was Chairing so it would have been totally inappropriate to ask why the person was using it, bullying even, but I can't help but think of that person as "pretentious", unfair I know.

Given a different context however I might ask them why they're doing it

I'm betting it's the same people who "up talk" in conversation.

I 'm probably paranoid :hihi:

Basically I have it when people do that.

I used to get irritated by this kind of thing but now I'm a bit older and more worldly wise, I realise that all people come from different backgrounds and different cultures and so talk and behave differently. I could perhaps understand annoyance at someone kissing you on the cheek as a greeting or punching you in the face for starting this thread but not when they start a sentence with "so". Could it be a weakness on your part, you will be distracted by the presence of the sos to the point where you will be unable to listen to what the person is saying? I can only assume that it stems from an arrogance that you speak and behave perfectly and that anyone who does not behave like you is annoying or maybe worse. Can we entertain perhaps for a moment that everyone has habits of expression? Maybe you have some kind of phrase that annoys someone equally? Or do you speak only in perfect sentences without the inclusion of any meaningless phrase: Actually I just wanted to say that as far as I know in the long run...

The word so is being used to indicate a continuation from the previous conversation. Just replace it with "Therefore, I need to ask the following question:"

so why are you bothered by something so trivial?

That all said I do find myself correcting in my head incorrect use of "less" and "fewer" but I try to control my rage and accept that language changes over time. Maybe "fewer" will disappear in time.

Edited by TimmyR

The word so is being used to indicate a continuation from the previous conversation. Just replace it with "Therefore, I need to ask the following question:"

No it isn't, it's being used at the start of a reply to a question. Used in this way the word is completely redundant.

No it isn't, it's being used at the start of a reply to a question. Used in this way the word is completely redundant.

Come on if you're going to nit pick get your facts right. Please read the OP. Not that that detracts in any way from what I saying above. Annoyance at such trivial use of words is a waste of energy. Get annoyed by something that matters I say.

---------- Post added 26-03-2015 at 13:53 ----------

...every question she was asked started with "So"

See above op

Edited by TimmyR

My current pet hate is when people, especially pundits, start every sentence with "look" or "listen". Roy keane is one of the worst as he often does both - it's like listening to an Irish demonic green cross code man.

Michael Clarke was the worse - everything started "aaaww look mate".

Come on if you're going to nit pick get your facts right. Please read the OP. Not that that detracts in any way from what I saying above. Annoyance at such trivial use of words is a waste of energy. Get annoyed by something that matters I say.

It appears that I read the OP incorrectly, I have observed it mostly in answers to questions, which is what I thought the OP was saying.

I don't think that being annoyed actually does consume any energy, at least not mild annoyance (which is what we're talking about).