Running. Why do they do it?

Why do people go out running?

Surely it can't be pleasurable to run and at the end of it return home sweaty, smelly, and in need of a shower.

What do they expect to gain from it.

Are they expecting to live longer, or summat?

I appreciate exercise is good, but don't understand the need to put ones body through extreme stressful exercise....for pleasure?

I couldn't run now if I wanted to, but getting older doesn't stop me exercising.

A six mile walk every day is about average for me.

In my younger years swimming was my way of keeping fit.

I just wonder, if in later years those that run will regret it. It must surely do damage to knee, ankle joints and possibly cause problems in later life.

I blame Thatcher me.

Surely it can't be pleasurable to run and at the end of it return home sweaty, smelly, and in need of a shower.

I appreciate exercise is good, but don't understand the need to put ones body through extreme stressful exercise....for pleasure?

I couldn't run now if I wanted to, but getting older doesn't stop me exercising.

I just wonder, if in later years those that run will regret it. It must surely do damage to knee, ankle joints and possibly cause problems in later life.

A couple of my friends are joggers/runners. They both say similar things. It's way to de-stress by being away from things that annoy them (in layman's/or succinct terms).

I suppose some do it to lose weight etc. but I can see something in why they [above] do it. I used to like playing Squash, but I found I was far more stressed when I lost :hihi:

I suppose you can't lose to anyone, just going for a jog/run if on own.

Because running feels good. After you get over the initial hump of exhaustion over a few weeks or so, then running is a pretty enjoyable way of keeping fit.

'Runners high' is a real thing and the health impacts of regular exercise and wide and varied.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurobiological_effects_of_physical_exercise

Its the lack of exercise that causes illness, using your joints is a normal activity.

Running is popular because pretty much everyone has access to it and it's free of charge.

You are right about joint injury, prolonged running on hard surfaces with poor footwear can be dangerous, but buy a half decent pair of running shoes and changes them once the bounce goes and you should be fine.

Yes, it is pleasurable.

I certainly don't smell after running, sweat only starts to smell after quite some time. And there's nothing bad about needing a shower.

I enjoy the fact that I CAN run, which is maintained by actually doing it.

I enjoy running with friends, it's a social activity.

I enjoy competing with myself and seeing an improvement in my times and fitness.

Health and fitness.

Live better at least.

Your loss.

Excessive running on hard surfaces can do damage, but we evolved to run after prey on the African savanna. Using your body for what it was designed isn't likely to cause damage. As an example, do you keep your eyes closed in case you wear them out by looking at things?

Because running feels good. After you get over the initial hump of exhaustion over a few weeks or so, then running is a pretty enjoyable way of keeping fit.

'Runners high' is a real thing and the health impacts of regular exercise and wide and varied.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurobiological_effects_of_physical_exercise

Any kind of exercise will release endorphins, it gives you a buzz too when you can see improvement.

I've tried running, but I haven't managed to keep it up. I can cycle for miles (I commute 10 miles each way, but not as often as I should :( ) but running seems harder, but I guess its just uses different muscles.

I've read a few articles lately that say spending long periods sitting down is very bad for you.

My sister loves running, and has an assortment of loops around where she lives to take account of all sorts of distance, weather conditions, cross country and places she can run in the dark too. It's her time to relieve stress, to have a bit of alone time that she doesn't get otherwise with 2 children and to feel relaxed afterwards too.

They seem to forget that the human body is just like a car, work up to many miles and the shocks and everything else start to wear away. Yes running is great for the heart but the knees and other joints will start to go and the plastic one's just don't work so well.

Low impact exercise is the answer so quit running and start walking ;)