Should we try to stop discrimination based on class?

This is quite a general question, but I would be very interested to hear people's thoughts about it.

I ask the question because in responding to another post about ethnicity and race, I posted a link about 'protected characteristics' age, disability, sexual orientation etc. (http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/private-and-public-sector-guidance/education-providers/secondary-education-resources/useful-information/understanding-equality)

I personally don't believe that people of a certain social class should be viewed in the same way, mainly because you can change social class (though it is becoming more difficult that in the recent past).

Nevertheless, I think that some people do experience prejudice and poorer life chances based on how much money they have. For example, there are many empirical studies which show that people living in certain postcodes have less of a chance in securing work, just by virtue of where they live.

I do think that if you have poorer life chances, then it's a situation that 'feeds off itself', and may explain why there is a growing wealth divide in the country.

I was just wondering what strategies there could be to address this situation. Or perhaps you believe that a big wealth gap is healthy?

Could you define class?

Well here's one general definition from the internet:

a set or category of things having some property or attribute in common and differentiated from others by kind, type.

So for example, in the context of the thread, an employer might look at someone from a certain postcode and attribute behaviours and beliefs to that person.

The op seems to be mixing up class and wealth...I'm not sure they are the same thing.

---------- Post added 25-03-2015 at 14:00 ----------

Well here's one general definition from the internet:

a set or category of things having some property or attribute in common and differentiated from others by kind, type.

So for example, in the context of the thread, an employer might look at someone from a certain postcode and attribute behaviours and beliefs to that person.

Do you think it only happens one way..? Genuine question..

I personally don't believe that people of a certain social class should be viewed in the same way, mainly because you can change social class.
That doesn't make sense to me, can you expand a bit? :huh:

Seems to me (coming from an essentially class-less continental background and after a fair few years living here, and this is just an impression [because see end of post]) that class discrimination is most rampant between working class and middle class.

And yet, the long-term and widespread availability of relatively cheap consumer credit in recent times has blurred the line between these classes, to the extent that it is effectively meaningless (by comparison to several decades ago) in all but the most extreme of situations (which, by definition, are not representative of the average).

I was just wondering what strategies there could be to address this situation.
If you want to discriminate, then discriminate based on indebtment, i.e. disregard fur coats on tap and discriminate on the presence or otherwise of knickers :D

Personally, this 'class' way of seeing or reducing things has always annoyed me. Immensely. I just see people, irrespective of background, whose current situation comes from choices (some good, some bad) and opportunities (some taken, some not).

The class most discriminated against is the "upper class".

Cameron is vilified not due to his policies but due to his school upbringing and activities in his youth.

(do you want me sign in?)

The op seems to be mixing up class and wealth...I'm not sure they are the same thing.

You're correct that class and wealth aren't the same thing but are closely related.

No prejudice and discrimination isn't only one way, power wealth and status are also closely related.

Sex discrimination laws are a useful reference point here. Most women have benefitted from such legislation as traditionally they suffer prejudice and discrimination. However men can, and have, used such legislation to their advantage.

There are basically three classes

George Carlin.

The upper ruling world governing class

They do no work and pay none of the taxes

The middle class

They they do all the work and pay all of the taxes

The poor

"they there to scare the sh it out of the middle class and keep them showing up at their jobs"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko35qhKnRXs

Edited by Tommo68
spelling. correct a link several times and correct auto interfere

That doesn't make sense to me, can you expand a bit? :huh:

Seems to me (coming from an essentially class-less continental background and after a fair few years living here, and this is just an impression [because see end of post]) that class discrimination is most rampant between working class and middle class.

And yet, the long-term and widespread availability of relatively cheap consumer credit in recent times has blurred the line between these classes, to the extent that it is effectively meaningless (by comparison to several decades ago) in all but the most extreme of situations (which, by definition, are not representative of the average).

If you want to discriminate, then discriminate based on indebtment, i.e. disregard fur coats on tap and discriminate on the presence or otherwise of knickers :D

Personally, this 'class' way of seeing or reducing things has always annoyed me. Immensely. I just see people, irrespective of background, whose current situation comes from choices (some good, some bad) and opportunities (some taken, some not).

Well when I said people can change class, what I had in mind was that someone from a very modest background may end up in the fortunate position of being a bank manager or an author; or conversely someone from a privileged background may have a mixture of health problems that sees them penniless and homeless. These changes in circumstances, according to research, affect their life chances, their health, wellbeing, how others view them and ultimately mortality rates.

---------- Post added 25-03-2015 at 14:20 ----------

In addition I just wondered if you think that what are considered 'top jobs' go to those who have the 'right connections' and have been to the 'best schools'. I ask since the work that a person does is a key factor in that person's social class. Or whether there is equal opportunity for everyone?

Edited by Mister M

Well when I said people can change class, what I had in mind was that someone from a very modest background may end up in the fortunate position of being a bank manager or an author
And, all bank manager or author that they may become, if they still live down t'pit village, still shop at the market, still go down t'WMC on Friday night, still send their kids to the local comp, what then?

Middle class, or still working class? Or 'fake' working class now? (heard that one a few times, makes me LOL every time)

It's meaningless, as far too subjective: regardless of whether one cares about appearances or not, the classification is always all down to personal choices of the 'class member' and the criteria/prejudice of the observer.

And, all bank manager or author that they may become, if they still live down t'pit village, still shop at the market, still go down t'WMC on Friday night, still send their kids to the local comp, what then?

Middle class, or still working class? Or 'fake' working class now? (heard that one a few times, makes me LOL every time)

It's meaningless, as far too subjective: regardless of whether one cares about appearances or not, the classification is always all down to personal choices of the 'class member' and the criteria/prejudice of the observer.

This is why I asked for the OP's definition of class....