Running for exercise is dangerous

So, of course running is an excellent way to keep fit and loads of people do it. Plus there's so many places you can do this - gyms, parks, canal sides, in the countryside, housing estates.... the list goes on.

My questions is this - why on earth do some people choose to exercise by running along a busy country road, that has no pavement, during rush hour!? :loopy:

This slows traffic down causing delays, makes cars have to via onto the opposite side of the road to get past and generally creates more danger to themselves and other people than is necessary.

I've noticed this more and more recently, as the weather improves, daylight lasts for longer and I guess some people are starting to get that 'Spring' feeling of exercising for the summer - just seems a daft place for doing it.

Maybe their only/preferred route has no footpath. Maybe they are running to work. I would, but at almost 10 miles it is a bit too far, so I cycle instead :)

Another "I'm a selfish motorist and the roads are only for me" thread.

So, of course running is an excellent way to keep fit and loads of people do it. Plus there's so many places you can do this - gyms, parks, canal sides, in the countryside, housing estates.... the list goes on.

My questions is this - why on earth do some people choose to exercise by running along a busy country road, that has no pavement, during rush hour!? :loopy:

This slows traffic down causing delays, makes cars have to via onto the opposite side of the road to get past and generally creates more danger to themselves and other people than is necessary.

I've noticed this more and more recently, as the weather improves, daylight lasts for longer and I guess some people are starting to get that 'Spring' feeling of exercising for the summer - just seems a daft place for doing it.

It's disgraceful that someone held you up for a few seconds, maybe you should go to the Star? You may even get your photograph published!

Another "I'm a selfish motorist and the roads are only for me" thread.

Another arrogant know it all reply.

Runners can run in the gym, at the park, over fells and on pavements etc. etc. etc.

I can't drive my car in any of those places.

Another arrogant know it all reply.

Runners can run in the gym, at the park, over fells and on pavements etc. etc. etc.

I can't drive my car in any of those places.

You know where else runners can run. On the roads.

The fact that you can only use your car on tarmac is neither here nor there.

You know where else runners can run. On the roads.

The fact that you can only use your car on tarmac is neither here nor there.

As I said - arrogant. "I can run anywhere I like. But the most disruption I will cause is if I run on a road. But I don't care. Because I can. So I will. Because I'm arrogant. "

As I said - arrogant. "I can run anywhere I like. But the most disruption I will cause is if I run on a road. But I don't care. Because I can. So I will. Because I'm arrogant. "

Maybe the runner isn't being arrogant?

Maybe the person wants to run to work and this is the only route they can take? This year the half marathon takes a route that doesn't have a path next to the road, so maybe the runner is running the half marathon route? Maybe the runner lives around the area and so does't have any choice but to run on the roads?

Or just maybe holding someone up for a few seconds isn't really such a big deal?

I think they are either very selfish people or possible they may be the ultimate in altruistic. Many insurance companies will pay out double if the person who is the subject of the policy dies whilst travelling or in an auto accident.

Either way I think they have a death wish, even if they won't admit it, and I agree they also appear to have very little regard for the group of road users that contribute most to their upkeep.

Of course other runners and people from other similar and equally selfish groups will not agree.

Talk about a sweeping statement. I used to run often and used to cover many miles during my runs, which often took me along country lanes. You know why I used country lanes? Not because I am arrogant, but because that was the only route available to me, given that I lived in the country.

Edited by Agent Orange

Lol, I like the 'jumpers to conclusions' comments on this, most welcome! - thanks Cyclone and JFKvsNixon :hihi:

I'm not talking about horses on roads you know! :P

I never said they held me up OR that the roads are only for me. I'm surprised anyone runs along a high speed road with blind corners that doesn't have pavements or easy access off the road. It's causing a needless danger when there are plenty of other places running can be done more safely.

Lol, I like the 'jumpers to conclusions' comments on this, most welcome! - thanks Cyclone and JFKvsNixon :hihi:

I'm not talking about horses on roads you know! :P

I never said they held me up OR that the roads are only for me. I'm surprised anyone runs along a high speed road with blind corners that doesn't have pavements or easy access off the road. It's causing a needless danger when there are plenty of other places running can be done more safely.

Freedom of choice. End of :)