When is it OK to have a Swastika tattoo?

On Sunday morning while in the gym I noticed a man there with a single, small (about the size of a stamp) tattoo of a Swastika on his bicep. The man was of either Chinese or Japanese origin and as the swastika is very much connected to Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism amongst others.

This got me to thinking. Should we be 'accepting' of other peoples use of this symbol or should we see it for what it represents to us in Europe?

I'm unsure as being from a generation that was not affected by WWII, its difficult for me to have an opinion, but older generations may be offended.

How the world loved the swastika - until Hitler stole it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29644591

Walls, floors and rocks: England and its swastikas

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26369329

The problem is the symbol represents something different now to back then.

I suppose you could look at it this way.

Hitler was an advocate of animal rights and opposed Fox Hunting but if the League Against Cruel Sports, used Hitlers Image in their publications, the message would be lost and the focus would be on all of the terrible things Hitler did. The swastika may have been a symbol of well-being in the past but in the present day it symbolises something very different to us in Europe and to a lesser degree across the world.

The problem is the symbol represents something different now to back then.

I suppose you could look at it this way.

Hitler was an advocate of animal rights and opposed Fox Hunting but if the League Against Cruel Sports, used Hitlers Image in their publications, the message would be lost and the focus would be on all of the terrible things Hitler did. The swastika may have been a symbol of well-being in the past but in the present day it symbolises something very different to us in Europe and to a lesser degree across the world.

There are other challenges we face now as well as this symbol. For example I love the music by lost prophets. Yet the other poor members of the band who produced decent music had to form a new band and we no longer hear this music because of the despicable things Ian Watkins did.

Also we cant have hardly any old top of the pops anymore (or very little 70s and 80s TV for that matter because of Jimmy Saville, Rolf Harris etc. Because of terrible events symbols, music or even tv is banned from being shown.

This is an interesting read on the topic.

http://www.tofugu.com/2012/03/21/why-are-there-swastikas-in-japan/

It is a Japanese symbol, which to me makes it fine for a Japanese person to have it as a tattoo. Although I am always suspicious of Japanese men with (lots of) tattoos due to the Yakuza. I have a half-Japanese friend and we once had an interesting discussion about it, hence I know about it. Google reveals this story for some background.

To me, the fact that Hitler used it doesn't alter it's original meaning. Same with lightning bolts or the skull and crossbones.

Of course, it's different if being presented in a context which clearly supports Nazism. And even then, just because it's unacceptable to me doesn't me it's unacceptable to everyone.

---------- Post added 23-03-2015 at 11:39 ----------

This is an interesting read on the topic.

http://www.tofugu.com/2012/03/21/why-are-there-swastikas-in-japan/

It is a Japanese symbol, which to me makes it fine for a Japanese person to have it as a tattoo. Although I am always suspicious of Japanese men with (lots of) tattoos due to the Yakuza. I have a half-Japanese friend and we once had an interesting discussion about it, hence I know about it. Google reveals this story for some background.

Tattoos have become much more common in Japanese culture over the last five years. I wouldn't automatically be suspicious of any Japanese man with tattoos.

I thought it was an Indian symbol of peace or something??

but orientated slightly differently?

Tattoos have become much more common in Japanese culture over the last five years. I wouldn't automatically be suspicious of any Japanese man with tattoos.

Whilst in Japan I was surprised to see that one of our hotels completely banned anyone (including Europeans) with ANY tattoo's from using the pool facilities.

Apparently because in Japan tattoo's are associated with criminal gangs (far more so than in Europe I guess).

Whilst in Japan I was surprised to see that one of our hotels completely banned anyone (including Europeans) with ANY tattoo's from using the pool facilities.

Apparently because in Japan tattoo's are associated with criminal gangs (far more so than in Europe I guess).

Whilst there, neither I nor my very heavily tattooed friend had many issues at all. My friend was asked to wear a jacket, which was provided for him, in the New York Grill in the Hyatt Tower. Although, this was quite a posh place where we paid a cover charge for the jazz band so I wasn't all that surprised!

Did you go to any public or hotel swimming pools?

The hotel didn't have a problem except specifically where it wasn't possible to cover up tattoos.

---------- Post added 23-03-2015 at 15:57 ----------

There seem to be websites dedicated to finding locations where tattoo's are allowed, suggesting that there are many where they are not;

http://www.japantrends.com/tattoo-spot-helping-you-find-japanese-hot-springs-baths-where-tattoos-are-accepted/

It’s no secret that we hate the policy that many Japanese hotels, hot springs, pools and beaches have regarding tattoos (irezumi or shisei).

The out-dated custom bans inked visitors from either enjoying their facilities or at least displaying their tattoo(s) while doing so. Ostensibly it is to show that the facilities do not accept Yakuza (gangsters) on their premises, since Yakuza are famous for their tattoos (similarly to the Russian mafia).

Did you go to any public or hotel swimming pools?

The hotel didn't have a problem except specifically where it wasn't possible to cover up tattoos.

---------- Post added 23-03-2015 at 15:57 ----------

There seem to be websites dedicated to finding locations where tattoo's are allowed, suggesting that there are many where they are not;

http://www.japantrends.com/tattoo-spot-helping-you-find-japanese-hot-springs-baths-where-tattoos-are-accepted/

Yeah we did, no problems.