Running for exercise is dangerous

I've found plenty of slow tractors round bends in my time driving, and been prepared to slow and avoid them as necessary (and have done) thanks very much.

Going back to the OP - That doesn't mean it's safe and ok for runners to be in this situation when there's loads of other places for them to run which are safer.

I.... and I agree they also appear to have very little regard for the group of road users that contribute most to their upkeep.

Of course other runners and people from other similar and equally selfish groups will not agree.

ha ha ha. Just say it .... ROAD TAX ... but you cant cos that argument is flawed.

---------- Post added 25-03-2015 at 16:27 ----------

Another arrogant know it all reply.

Runners can run in the gym, at the park, over fells and on pavements etc. etc. etc.

I can't drive my car in any of those places.

yeah, and those with mobility scooters can stick to hospital wards and old peoples homes. How dare they use roads?

---------- Post added 25-03-2015 at 16:30 ----------

This can lead to the future of driverless cars dilemma too. What do you program driverless cars to do, avoid the runner on the road and crash into the oncoming truck killing yourself - or miss the truck but killing the runner in the process?

Theoretically by bringing this issue to point, the runners could be advised not to run on roads endangering themselves and others and avoid possible accidents like these in the first place.

If that really becomes the case, then driverless cars are not safe and should not be implemented ... unless it's a motorway scenario with "trains" of cars driving in unison

So, of course running is an excellent way to keep fit and loads of people do it. Plus there's so many places you can do this - gyms, parks, canal sides, in the countryside, housing estates.... the list goes on.

My questions is this - why on earth do some people choose to exercise by running along a busy country road, that has no pavement, during rush hour!? :loopy:

This slows traffic down causing delays, makes cars have to via onto the opposite side of the road to get past and generally creates more danger to themselves and other people than is necessary.

I've noticed this more and more recently, as the weather improves, daylight lasts for longer and I guess some people are starting to get that 'Spring' feeling of exercising for the summer - just seems a daft place for doing it.

Running is a high impact way to get fit...your joints will be knackered

I've found plenty of slow tractors round bends in my time driving, and been prepared to slow and avoid them as necessary (and have done) thanks very much.

Well runners are smaller than tractors, and therefore much easier to avoid.

---------- Post added 26-03-2015 at 07:38 ----------

I never implied they shouldn't be there.

What I have said is that there are plenty of alternative places for them to be, that in my opinion, as a runner, are much better and safer.

And I said that they should be considerate if they do choose to be on the roads. Because the majority of the rest of the road users don't have a choice other than to be there.

You on the other hand arrogantly stated that they can be there if they want and everyone else should put up with it. A great big two fingered salute.

Both of which come to the same conclusion, runners can and will be there. I certainly didn't say that they shouldn't be considerate, but drivers have to put it up with it either way.

And the tone of the response was in direct response to the tone of the OP.

---------- Post added 26-03-2015 at 07:39 ----------

Oh, and this is what you claimed was arrogant.

Another "I'm a selfish motorist and the roads are only for me" thread.

When in fact, given the OPs ongoing posts, it seems to be entirely accurate.

Have you thought that, maybe, just maybe, the road takes them where they need to go?

Perhaps they've done most of the run on pavement and track, but to connect those sections, there is just segment of road that they have to use?

Though I suspect you aren't capable of lateral or empathetic thinking...

Going back to the OP - That doesn't mean it's safe and ok for runners to be in this situation when there's loads of other places for them to run which are safer.

Sometimes getting to those places involves running on a road with no pavements.

there's country roads where it is perfectly safe to run. One of my routes uses Fanshawe Gate Lane, Moorwood Lane, Strawberry Lee Lane. Hardly ever encounter a car on those lanes. Usually see a few walkers who quite happily and safely spread across the lanes when in groups.

There are other country roads where it would be foolish to run, where the traffic flows too fast and is too heavy.

There ain't a clear yes/no answer to this one.

ha ha ha. Just say it .... ROAD TAX ... but you cant cos that argument is flawed.

Flawed you say. Would you like to justify that or is it just an unsuported knee jerk reaction.