To any mechanics

thinking of running cdti Vectra 08 on bio fuel any advice please, it is a common rail and has a DPF. is bio ok or should I get it remapped

It'll probably shag the pump, common rail systems can't usually deal with biofuel.

It's even advisable to stay away from the B10 pump at Morissons, as people have had trouble with that too.

Making the bio yourself or buying it ready made???

Any diesel will run on WELL MADE biodiesel but not always at 100%

Try a 20% mix first and see how it behaves.

Expect to change the fuel filter as the bio will remove all the years of muck in the tank and fuel lines within a feww hudred miles.

Common rail's no good for biofuel.It will damage the pump and injectors.

You maybe right, but why?

The fuel is usually thicker, and slightly acidic.

The pumps work at very high pressure, with the thicker and more acidic fluid it just ruins the insides.

There's also the problem (if you buy it in) of variations in the quality of fuel, as it's usually produced on a small scale using basic equipment.

Are we talking proper biodiesel, served from a pump at a proper filling station or are we talking home made stuff - vegetable oil?

Is 'the proper stuff' made to any set formulation tho??

Well, there's B5, B7, B10 and B30 that I know of. Are there any others?

I would expect that retail biodiesel would have to be produced to BS EN rules.

But you're right about variation:

http://www.biofuelsystems.com/biodiesel/specification.htm

Personally, for the sake of pennies per litre, opposed to potential problems I just wouldn't bother.

I'm not sure of the age of this article (probably old because I don't think Morrisons do biodiesel any more) but it makes for interesting reading:

We called 17 customer relation departments to check the position, claiming to be in the market for a new diesel car. Ford, Mercedes and Toyota referred us to the local dealer for technical advice.

Fifteen - Audi, BMW, Fiat, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Kia, Mercedes, Nissan, Renault, Toyota, Vauxhall, Volvo and VW - told us that B30 was not recommended for use with their diesel engines. Peugeot and Citroen were the exceptions.

BMW qualified their position saying the fuel was not currently recommended, but confirmed it was undergoing tests, so their position could reviewed in the future. The local Mercedes dealer was most direct; "we've had an email about this; you must, must not use the fuel."

http://www.cleangreencars.co.uk/jsp/cgcmain.jsp?lnk=401&featureid=1047&pageid=-1

Edited by alchresearch

Pity really, I'm sure they could make the injection systems capable of utilising the fuel.

Not really in their interest tho.

If this is the case why does my common rail DCi engine and my common rail Volvo D5 engine run well on my homebrew??

The DCi will happily run on a 70% bio mix and the D5 runs 100% bio with very little differencw in the way they drive.

I presume from your statement that you have had a pump fail.

The normal diesel fuel being oil based acts as a lubrication for the the injector pump which biofuel does not do as good, also common rail pressures the system a lot more and apparently bio fuel will not compress as well as ordinary diesel fuel.