Dog grooming course/job

Hello

Would love some advice

I have recently decided that I would love a new career in dog grooming.

Love dogs and would love to work with them!

I am a qualified hairdresser.

I'm guessing I need to do the course, but where? Also it does cost a fair bit. Does anyone know if I can pay in instalments?

Should I volunteer at a local groomers to gain experience.

I'm not sure an apprenticeship is the best way to go as I am 27 and not sure if anyone will want me as they'll be able to hire youngsters who will be cheaper to keep.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

E

Sheffield forum member Hardwick Hounds will be able to advise you as she is a groomer and trainer. You should speak to as many groomers as possible and learn about the pros and cons of the job. Of the cons, there are many.

Thanks for the thumbs up ccit!

I know you've sent me a pm, OP, but I've since seen your thread so thought I'd reply in case anyone else is interested.

I'm not technically a trainer but I am experienced and have offered one to one training for several people who have approached me, one of whom went on to run her own salon successfully. I've just gone on maternity leave with my 2nd baby but would welcome you to contact me if one to one is something you'd be looking at in the future.

You'd have to contact the course provider to see of they'd let you pay in installments. If not you could look into and get advice on a loan or credit card balance transfer maybe?

I've heard the city & guilds is intense with theory that you may never need. I am definitely for qualifications but if I could do mine again I'd go to a grooming school instead of a college.

I've self published a short book on Kindle and have listed a few of the top grooming schools that I'd choose from in there. I've also detailed ways to further your skills and experience after qualifications.

Don't think all salons want young staff, either, I take the responsibility of people's pets extremely seriously and would be put off taking on an apprentice until they had some life experience under their belt.

Here's my book for anyone interested...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01LXDXKD2/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476206517&sr=1-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Terri+Hardwick