Where to live in Sheffield? Young family moving from overseas

Rough, well, I don't want to start a fight, which is what happens on SF when you criticise an area.

But

http://illustreets.co.uk/explore-england/brinsworth/

The standard of living (according to government measures) is low in much of Brinsworth, whilst the recorded incidents of violent crime are high.

You make it sound much worse than it is. Brinsworth is fine and property reasonably priced.

Cyclone I am not arguing either. As you can see I have never commented on a thread on this forum before and probably will never do again. But it was obvious from the start that you were commenting on a subject you know nothing about and could have been putting Umar off living in a perfectly nice area where his family could have a good standard of living and where he could commute to work in a very short space of time.

If you had read Umars earlier post you would have seen the area of Brinsworth he was considering and that he already knew it had a low level of crime but you still insisted on quoting your opinions.

I specifically provided evidence so as not to be simply posting an opinion.

You on the other hand are providing only an opinion and keep repeating that the evidence is wrong.

You are a social antagonists, you don't care that when you poke your nose into subjects you know nothing about you could be causing more home than good.

On the contrary, I'd like the OP to get a genuine, data backed, view of the areas he's considering.

Umar asked what an area was like and I provided him with that information.

You provided an opinion about it, I provided information.

If he had been asking about an area where I clearly had never lived or probably never been to, I would have kept my nose out.

Perhaps you should do the same and you didn't answer the question, how come where you live with its higher crime rate is a perfectly pleasant place to live and my area with its much lower crime rate is rough?And to say I am wrong about the crime statistic, they are the statistics that you quoted in the beginning of this thread!

I checked the crime rates and noted that you were wrong. And I'm also not going to respond as you hope by telling you about why my opinion is more valid than the evidence.

Not that crime rates were the important part of the data.

Feel free to actually provide a link to the statistics you think show what you claim.

You're clearly upset that Brinsworth isn't the nicest area and want to defend it because you live there and you're invested in the area. And that's why it's difficult to be objective about any given area on the forum, because there's always someone who lives there and will swear that black is white in order to defend it.

You could say in a thread that Parsons Cross and the Manor are a bit rough, and someone would pop up to claim that they aren't...

---------- Post added 23-08-2016 at 09:01 ----------

http://illustreets.co.uk/explore-england/vainor-road-sheffield/crime/

http://illustreets.co.uk/explore-england/brinsworth/

I'm really not sure how you get that the sea of orange surrounding a bit of green (Brinsworth) is somehow lower crime than the large area of dark green (close to where I live).

Not that this is a competition, I'm not recommending that the OP live near me.

---------- Post added 23-08-2016 at 09:18 ----------

Rainstorth and Scholes are close to meadowhall, but a nice bright green on the map.

---------- Post added 23-08-2016 at 09:21 ----------

Somewhere like this perhaps

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-55588804.html?backListLink=%2Fproperty-to-rent%2Fmap.html%3FminBedrooms%3D2%26propertyTypes%3Dsemi-detached%252Cdetached%26maxBedrooms%3D4%26sortType%3D6%26minPrice%3D500%26viewType%3DLIST%26channel%3DRENT%26index%3D0%26maxPrice%3D700%26radius%3D1.0%26numberOfPropertiesPerPage%3D24%26locationIdentifier%3DREGION%255E90655%23locationIdentifier%3DREGION%255E21624%26minPrice%3D500%26maxPrice%3D700%26minBedrooms%3D2%26maxBedrooms%3D4%26radius%3D1.0%26box%3D-1.44998%2C-1.38205%2C53.43007%2C53.47222%26popupPropertyId%3D55588804&fromMap=true

Whatever you say Cyclone, you have obviously never been to Brinsworth or you would know that the large areas surrounding Brinsworth

shaded orange are not the village of Brinsworth are not residential areas. They are large areas of Factories woodland and a large golf course and also Canklow which is nothing to do with Brinsworth as you say Winn gardens is nothing to do with where you live.

I and many others do not comment on this site purely because of people like yourself who have hijacked Sheffield forum and turned it into a place where anyone putting across an opinion that you don't agree with is shot down in flames. Even if you agree with something someone with your personality traits will contradict and and belittle a person just to boost your own ego.

People can judge for themselves, I personally would not live in a built up area like your own where parking is a nightmare and people have no space between their houses. But you obviously like it and me I will stick to my lovely tree lined street, in my low crime area and enjoy my lovely quality of life.

Just off to sit in my lovely garden now and enjoy the peace and quiet. And before you say it the motorway is nowhere near my house so I can't hear constant traffic, which is probably something you have to suffer everyday in you built up heavy traffic area.

Plus I have also checked the crime rate again and have found again that it is you that is wrong but you could never admit that could you!

Remember just because you have a right to comment doesn't mean that you should. It doesn't make you come across as intelligent just sad.

I suppose the OP will take a view on this. Whether to listen to someone who's lived in the area for years and knows from their experience what it's like; or to someone who googles the area and posts links that the OP could look up themselves.

The bickering and personal comments can end here.

Thank you.

Wow. As much as this wealth of information is going to be very helpful for me, I didn't expect this course of discussion. Thanks nikki-red.

The site that Cyclone provided for stats is very nice and can be useful. But I agree with others that I give much more weight to opinions of people who have real experience with something, in this case living in a certain area. Simply because of my life experiences. For instance if I ask someone to just visit my country because it's very beautiful, they'll be almost horrified at the idea because of the 'stats' spread around all over about it. In reality though, I just returned from there and thought I should move back sometime because of how nice it is. And my opinion is shared by everyone who has visited. This was a bit off-topic, but thought I'd put in my two-cents as to how I look at things, as I asked for suggestions.

Detective, I see you do justice to your screen name with to the point matter-of-fact kind of posts. Thanks.

From what Georgie girl has written, I think we're gonna like Brinsworth. I'll visit it in about a week. It really is close to my workplace. But for now I'm considering other areas suggested here too as we have to find something soon.

Again, thanks everyone! I think I already like Sheffield :)

Hi Umar, we moved to Hillsborough 10 years ago from the Netherlands and really quite like it, like any other area in the city it isn't crime free (my car was stolen a few months ago) but in general it is a nice area with plenty to do, lots of shops/supermarkets and so on. The people are friendly and diverse as well. The only issue is that we now have TWO Costas... (Plus a third one in a shopping estate just up the road!) ;)

A place like Overton Road as mentioned earlier in the thread is definitely worth a look.

Hi Umar,

Totally understand how you feel as I had no idea where to look as well when I first got to Sheffield to study.

Think this blogpost i came across sums up the top 5 areas around Sheffield better than I do : http://www.homelyapartments.co.uk/single-post/2016/07/19/The-5-Best-Areas-To-Live-In-Sheffield

All the best and welcome to Sheffield!

Edited by SimpleShef

Hi Umar,

Totally understand how you feel as I had no idea where to look as well when I first got to Sheffield to study.

Think this blogpost i came across sums up the top 5 areas around Sheffield better than I do :

All the best and welcome to Sheffield!

All those places look both great and unaffordable :(

Hey everyone! We're moving to England end of August (that's me, my wife and our ~2yo daughter). My office is gonna be near Meadowhall, and I'm currently looking to shortlist some areas where we should be looking to live.

I've already gone over a lot of threads (old and new) and I'm overwhelmed with info, so I thought better to open a new discussion. We're thinking about a three bed house to rent for around £600-£700 per month. Our preference would be a family friendly neighbourhood, parks, daycares/schools, transport connections. Of course it's not *required* to have everything as that's not always possible, but the more the better.

From what I've read already I'm thinking about S6 and S7 (I'm completely confused about specific areas in them atm). There's also Rotherham which is around 10 min drive from my office with good prices, but I'm not sure how good that area is.

Looking forward to your valuable suggestions :)

I'm not going to recommend you any areas, because first you need to decide what's important to you? and I don't think you've come up with that critical list yet.

You've mentioned a few things here - but you need to rank them - to prioritise them one over the other. For example - how important is the commute to work, versus being near to public transport links, or near to a park, or a school?

The good news is, you are thinking of renting, I think that's very wise if I may say so. I've lived all around the UK and abroad and when you move to an area you don't know so well it's a good idea to spend a few months, or more, renting until you get a feel for a place. It's amazing how much your perspective on what is a desirable area to live can change once you start living there.

If you were buying a property I think the advice I would offer would be a lot different to renting. What I would say though, is you should get something pretty decent, in a good part of the city for £700 a month. The good parts tend to be on the West Side - the less good parts on the East side. Just the same as every other major city in the UK - and because of the industrial past and the prevailing winds that blow upon our cloudy little island.

So, you can have a bit of fun renting - go anywhere you like really. But if you've got kids then I'd be thinking of making the decision around their school and the desirability of the area that they will be growing up in - the kind of people they will be mixing with. I wouldn't put much store on location to my place of work or how cheap the rents are - I think both of those are red herrings. The first one is "handy" but has no value compared to how safe and happy your family will feel and the kind of folks they'll mix with. The second one is downright dangerous! Some places are cheaper than others for a reason. You refer to these as "good prices" - they aren't good - they're just less expensive. Make sure you know the difference and good luck!

Not sure if this is much use now, but I live on intake and I love the area. There are multiple nurseries/playgroups, 2 great primary and junior schools, and a choice of 3 schools for secondary years. There is a park down the road from me which I love to walk to. The tram is a 5 minute walk, and buses into town are every 10 minutes.

Hope this helps

As you say you will be Based on the M1 corridor there are many places to chose, from Ba;rnsley, Chapeltown Tinsley to Handsworth etc

Handsworth is full keep away :|