What did we earn in the 1970's?

A friend, renovating an old property, has just come across part of an old newspaper advertising a Showwaddy and Rubettes show which I'm thinking would be the 70's? Dearest tickets were £9.50 which seemed a lot for almost 50 years ago. But can't recall what we were earning then. Anyone remember?

I suppose it depends what job you did I was a supermarket assistant till 79 on £40 per week then moved on to a tiles and paint shop shop for £70 per week

It also depends on exactly when in the 1970s, as it was a time of high inflation (it peaked at an annual rate of over 25% in mid-1975). So prices - and hopefully incomes - rose over 3½ times during the decade. In October 1970 I started as a 22 year-old bank messenger on a weekly wage of a little under £13.

I started in the police in 1978 and my first monthly take home was £189 but I did get free accommodation as well

I was a newly-qualified teacher in 1972 and my first monthly pay was £76 after tax!

I started in the fire service in 67 on £149 per month only 12pay days per year so so some five week month, so that's why fire men had part time jobs, I am now getting the benefit of the poor wages.

I started work has a porter at the NGH in May 77 and the hourly rate was 77.7p or £31.08 for 40 hours but it was a great place to work back then.

A friend, renovating an old property, has just come across part of an old newspaper advertising a Showwaddy and Rubettes show which I'm thinking would be the 70's? Dearest tickets were £9.50 which seemed a lot for almost 50 years ago. But can't recall what we were earning then. Anyone remember?

'Showaddywaddy' and "The Rubettes' had their first hit records in 1974, I went to that show so I suppose that was the year. On a side issue: One of the original members of 'Showaddywaddy' (they were from Leicester) his son played for Sheffield Wednesday, their names I forget.

Edited by stpetre
Add

Guest makapaka

A year or two before the minimum wage (maybe 1999?) my weekly wage was £52.66 with a college course paid for which was one day a week. When the minimum wage came in my pay doubled.

Shoulda been born in the 70's lol

Guest sibon
'Showaddywaddy' and "The Rubettes' had their first hit records in 1974, I went to that show so I suppose that was the year. On a side issue: One of the original members of 'Showaddywaddy' (they were from Leicester) his son played for Sheffield Wednesday, their names I forget.

That was Scott Oakes.

Dion Dublin's dad was also rumoured to be in the band.