Sci-Fi punk authors..

Hi everyone,

I run a steampunk website called Steampunk Journal (steampunkjournal.org) and I have a campaign constantly running called Steampunk Write, Steampunk Read. With steampunk being a literary subgenre, I wanted to highlight the great independently published novels that are out there.

It works by publishing the back page brief with full links to selling sites, social media and websites, then the following week I publish the first chapter. The idea is to get steampunks reading the stories that they may normally miss. The first chapter will hopefully get people interested in your story to go and buy it.

I am welcoming steampunk, cyberpunk and dieselpunk novels as well as others in similar themes so if you want to get your name out there, email matt@steampunkjournal.org

Also, if you're into subgenres and have something to write about I'd love to hear from you.

I'm interested in stories, tales and yarns both made up and real. I run a satirical news section called Alternate News which works a little like Daily Mash but with a Victorian inspired science fiction theme in an alternate Britain(eg, London Underground trains to be replaced with teleportation devices) and would love to publish anyone's ideas.

I don't make anything from the site, so can't offer financial reward, but I'm not going to try and convince you that it's great exposure either. I'll leave that up to you to decide.. ;-) Come and pop in and say hello either way, I usually have a spare pipe knocking around...

When you mention "Interested in subgenres". Would that be solely constricted to Steampunk? I've looked at the genre before and I find it quite interesting. I go to Anime/Comic conventions now and again and I find steam punk cosplayers the most interesting really.

Hello,

steampunk is quite closely related to other subgenres, cosplay, burlesque, etc (close enough to be friendly, but not to crawl up the inside of the quilt and tweak it's nipples).

As such I'm happy to post about anything like that. The readers will be happy to read that sort of thing, I think.

Hi Larkfield,

Do you know there's a Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers group in Sheffield? We meet every first and third Monday of the month at The Three Tuns pub (just off Paradise Sq), we're an open bunch and we'd love to see you and give us a talk about what your doing and who you'd like to contribute. We're trying to build a SF/Fantasy community here up north that does things like socials and meet ups. If this is something you'd like to come along to, just join us on facebook if you'd like and pop along to a meeting. We are there even Bank Holidays, maybe we'll see you soon.

Yours Jo Johnson-Smith