Horse advice / Stable volunteering

Just wondered if anyone could help or advice.

As most parents I have a horse mad 14 yr daughter, she's loved horses since she was 3 so im accepting that it isn't just a faze, and she has also had riding lessons which I believe also included basic care.

She doesn't ask for much (trust me Xmas & birthday is a nightmare) but whenever asked its always jokingly "a horse".

you could write my horse knowledge on the back of a postage stamp and since she isn't experienced I know that buying her a horse right now wouldn't be a good idea. So I was wondering do stables take on volunteers perhaps giving responsibility to care for a horse or would horse loan be better?

She is home schooled so time wouldn't be a problem although preferably within easy distance by public transport or bike to S5 preferably.

---------- Post added 14-11-2014 at 17:59 ----------

Newbiz, just wanted to check you got my pm

Hi,

I worked with horses from 17 years old until I was 30, then I had my own horses until I was 36. I have a lot of knowledge about horses.

I would suggest that your daughter goes to a stables and volunteers, usually they are very happy for youngsters to help out. Bit by bit your daughter can learn to handle the horses, learn how to muck out, tack up etc. It would be fantastic fun. You should approach stables around your home and se if they would be willing to let your daughter volunteer there. Once she is volunteering and appreciates all the hard work that goes with looking after a horse, whatever the weather, then she might feel confident to have a horse on loan, maybe even from the stables she volunteers at. Thornberry near Aston have horses they loan/adopt out and so does Bransby horses in Lincoln.

Good luck to you both and I hope your daughter has many happy years with a wonderful horse, just like I did. xx

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.grenoside-equestrian.co.uk%2F&ei=vm9oVJiyLsrsaPPEgSg&usg=AFQjCNGimGLAEobQ3s3ntFRKlVaVvKlwzA&bvm=bv.79142246,d.bGQ

Do a search on google for various riding stables.