Anyone here have/had ferrets?

Has anyone here ever had ferrets? What can you say about them?

I want to hear your opinions and experiences. Greeting

Great little animals.

I have a girl called Dorris, want to get a friend for her.

read up on them first

I have 12 of my own and rescue in a small way, I love them, they are the most misunderstood of animals.

Ferrets are a sort of perpetual puppy crossed with a kitten, they never grow up, they are curious, intelligent, lively and affectionate, they thrive on Human company, not a pet to stick in a hutch and throw food at they need lots of play time...accomplished escape artists they can get into/out of anything.

They are very sociable and should be kept with their own kind.

As said you need to research thoroughly though, they are time consuming if you keep them properly and can be costly to feed, they are carnivores and should only eat raw meat, you would also need to learn about the problems associated to their breeding season and the best way to help them with that.

Any questions feel free to ask :)

I had a couple as a child. They are not guinea pig type creatures. They are almost like little dogs! They need time, exercise and attention. I'm not sure how true it is but I was told to handle them when they wasn't hungry (especially before they are properly trained) so they didn't bite you. Not that I was bitten.

I had a couple as a child. They are not guinea pig type creatures. They are almost like little dogs! They need time, exercise and attention. I'm not sure how true it is but I was told to handle them when they wasn't hungry (especially before they are properly trained) so they didn't bite you. Not that I was bitten.

My bold...yes definitely especially with kits, stuff them with as much meat as they will eat and it will definitely cut down on biting, a hungry baby ferret is a biting baby ferret, I think that as a first ferret it is often best to start with young adults that are already nip trained.