Dog does`nt like lead on coller

hi i bought a dog of someone last year,she was a rescue dog from greece,the owners said they had her for a while but wife was pregnant and could not cope with it.he sent me her passport through post and i realised they had only had her for a few weeks. she is a beautiful dog very timid, she loves to go out but every time we put lead on her collar she starts to boak so we use a harness and she is ok,also she barks at other dogs if they come near her she hides behind us shes so scared.we have noticed apart from family if a man calls to our house she runs under table or gets behind hubby.how can i find out about her background to to why she is like this anyone know...

Hello :)

You have a reactive dog. As do I :)

You will not know 'why', as sometimes there is no why - it just is. Your dog is having a hard time! It will require work on your part to make life a little easier and stress free for them, but you will see confidence grow and small changes over time. It's hard work but very rewarding!

The best thing you can do is look into a behaviourist. They will be able to see if you dog is reacting to other dogs because it is scared (like mine - fear based agression) or you could have a frustrated greeter on your hands. They should be able to show you modern positive techniques (nothing to scare or stress the dog out further - that could turn dangerous) to help your pooch cope without overloading them. You should look into counter conditioning re the lead and collar to help the dog see something good where they currently see something stressful.

There are a couple of really good facebook groups - Reactive Dogs UK is one I'd say to look at - there is a lot of knowledge in there.

All I can really say is put the work in that clearly the last lot of owners couldn't be bothered with, and life will be better for you both! Good luck :)

Thanks for your advise i will look into this,she is a very loving dog she follows us everywhere if one of us go to bathroom she will stay with other but if there is only me she will follow and sit outside bathroom and same if its only hubby with her.she always has to sit with us as well and doesnt like to be left on her own.i would love to find out her background and why she was a rescue dog but cant seem to find out how too.But i will use the advice you have given me THANKS ....

Well if your dog has come from Greece, there's a very high chance they were previously a street dog.

Greece has big issues with strays just being able to breed as they are never domesticated or looked after. You will more than likely find there are no records, as there will have been no record held of this dog prior to a rescue organisation taking them off the street.

Chances are they are simply like this because it's a totally different way of life to what they've ever had, they've had a very turbulent time in the last couple of years with different people and places - the dog still won't know if it's coming or going. Time will fix this :)

Unless there is any record of which rescue has taken this dog in in Greece, you won't find out.

I've had a few rescue dogs - it's strange not knowing their background, don't get too hung up on it - they've started their new life with you now, just focus on that rather than details you'll never know :)

Have you had her checked by a vet to make sure it's not some thing in the dogs throat. If you know anyone with nice placid dogs it might help her get over the fear walking her with them.