Who do I report a dog attack to?

Stannington near community centre on old college site.

Yesterday walking my dogs on lead a doberman attacked my 2 dogs and then attacked me. I couldn't see blood on my dogs as it was 5pm and going dark but when I got home one had a massive chunk bitten out of the top of his leg and puncture marks on his back. Had to rush him to emergency vets. They could not do anything that day so had to take him back this morning for surgery which is going to cost £6-700 est.

I have to go for a tetanus as the bite drew blood through my jeans and need a booster. I'm lucky I wore jeans because the power in the bite was huge.

The owner said it snapped its lead but I am doubtful that is true. He is oblivious of dog ownership. He did not run after the dog just walked up whilst it was attacking us. It is never muzzled and has attacked my dogs 2 years previously. I always avoid it if I see it. This time it just came sprinting up from nowhere.

I have seen him on there a few times but don't know a name. He drives an older style silver BMW which he parks there. I will look for him every time because we need words.

If it was a child (which they do all the time down there) walking the dog it would be dead because the dog was crazy. If not for me the injuries would be catastrophic with the frenzy it was in. It seriously needs putting to sleep before it kills something.

Who is the best place to report it to?

The police.... you have his registration number.....?

The police.... you have his registration number.....?

No but will see it again so if I get a crime number I could call back. Is there still a dog warden department in sheffield.

Police ! This is a serious event, get the owner's car reg, get receipts from the vet, take photos of the injuries. You will not be the only person this dog has attacked.

Controlling your dog in public - GOV.UK

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview

25 Oct 2016 - It's against the law to let a dog be dangerously out of control anywhere, such as: in a public place. in a private place, eg a neighbour's house or garden. in the owner's home.

Police ! This is a serious event, get the owner's car reg, get receipts from the vet, take photos of the injuries. You will not be the only person this dog has attacked.

Controlling your dog in public - GOV.UK

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview

25 Oct 2016 - It's against the law to let a dog be dangerously out of control anywhere, such as: in a public place. in a private place, eg a neighbour's house or garden. in the owner's home.

I have just now reported it to the police on 101 so have a crime number and will find out his reg. I have photos of the bite on my leg but the dogs was an open wound right under the front leg/belly area. 3 vets yesterday could not get a look at it so had to take him in this morning for sedation and surgery depending how bad it is.

The dog sat up all night because he could not lay down with the pain.

personal experience police do nothing and dog wardens useless. Hope you and your poor dog are ok

personal experience police do nothing and dog wardens useless. Hope you and your poor dog are ok

There has to be evidence. That is why I made the suggestions above.

There has to be evidence. That is why I made the suggestions above.

if blood pouring from ear and neck is not good enough evidence I don't know what is. Also been bitten myself again no action was taken.

if blood pouring from ear and neck is not good enough evidence I don't know what is. Also been bitten myself again no action was taken.

It has been taken seriously as the police have supplied the victim with a crime reference number. That means that it is already being treated as a crime and steps will be taken to find the dog owner. Unfortunately the police only have so many lines of enquiry and cannot just start accusing local dog owners of being responsible for this. The courts / cps will not accept a case whereby there is no hard evidence.

Sorry to the OP, I understand how you feel. My cat was recently attacked by an out of control dog that wasn't on a lead. My cat was sat on our back garden at the time minding it's own business. Hope you are ok and healing well.

Edited by Dales

Thanks everyone.

The vet bill cost £647 and the dog is healing up fine. The vet took pictures for me as the dog was too stressed before he was sedated for surgery. You can see here if you like.

http://imgur.com/a/qMtV0

I will see him again and I will seek to recover the money. First thing is to get his registration number because I doubt he will give me his name and address. As it also bit me I should imagine it would be worse than just a dog on dog attack. A doberman attacking a poodle is not really a fair fight. There are a couple of puncture marks down his back too but the vet just took photo's of the serious wound.

Get as much information as you can, registration number etc. The police should then be able to trace him. Once you have that - you need to keep good records of any communication you have with him. If he does not respond perhaps you could use the small claims court to get some of the cost back. I was a dog owner and I am sure that there is something in the house insurance that covers you if your dog causes damage e.g. dog bites