Dog groomers etiquette

Hello everyone.

I am considering taking my dog to a groomers, but have never been before so I don't really know what to expect.

He is a rescue dog who I've had for ~9 months. I've been trying to clip his front nails myself, just doing a tiny amount one nail at a time, but I am obviously not taking enough off because his front nails are beginning to be too long to be good for him. He really doesn't enjoy people touching his feet and he hates having them clipped - I normally try to stuff him with high value treats as I clip. My dog is also not great with other dogs and gets really anxious at places like the vet.

I wanted to ask are groomers used to this from dogs?

Is it okay to take a dog that doesn't like baths/nails being clipped to a groomers?

Do dogs normally wear muzzles at a groomers?

What happens if a dog were to bite? (I doubt he would, but I do worry)?

Do you normally wait while your dog is groomed or do you come back to pick them up?

I was thinking of trying A & M groomers on commonside - has anyone tried here?

Sorry for all the questions - I have just never been before and wanted advice on nervous/less social dogs in groomers.

Thanks!

Hi mosaic91,

I have one very nervous dog and I worried about this a lot. A&M groomers came highly recommended and I visited them on my own and had a chat. They were very helpful but recommended that I take my dog to somewhere where she would not be in a window - their salon is very open and you can see in from the street. My dog however is so nervous of people it would really scare her to see everyone walking past.

Now I got another dog who is very confident so I send them together to Pets at Home (they were recommended to me as well) and I take them in early morning slots where there are few people about in the shop. The groomers there are really helpful and nice. I think most groomers are used to all sorts of dogs and behaviors - I would just recommend calling/visiting a few places and have a chat beforehand.

You can get groomers that come to your home to see your dog. I'Ve never used a mobile groomer myself so I can't recommend one but I'm sure somebody could.

Just make sure you explain the situation to the groomer when you book your dog in. They'll probably put a muzzle on him just to be on the safe side.

And yes, they are used to dealing with dogs like this :)

Most groomers are used to dogs that aren't very happy with having their feet or their anal glands done, so I really wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you tell the groomer which parts the dog is likely to object to, so that they can be prepared, of course.

Most of them will have muzzles that they use, but it's a day to day normality to have one dog or another which doesn't like something that is happening and restraining dogs in a non-scary way is part of grooming in general.

If your dog is likely to struggle, refuse to cooperate or tell the groomer off this is only likely to be an issue if they are large or really stroppy.

I have a little yorkie that wont let me anywhere near her with scissors,I take her to pets at home and I have watched from afar, she is good as gold and will happily let them do anything.

As someone else said,try to get an early appointment when its not busy.I once went sunday morning the shop wasn't open but the groom room was,i had to knock to be let in the shop.

All groomers are very used to dogs who don't like being groomed, its something that they learn to like, once they get used to the surroundings, the noises, the groomer, the process etc, its a lot for them to take in at first.

Groomers will muzzle if the dog shows signs of willingness to bite but otherwise coping with grooming. If your dog is happy wearing a muzzle though and you would prefer your dog to wear one you can either bring the dog in muzzled or ask the groomer if you can pop one of their muzzles on before you leave.

If your dog has never been before, take your dog with you while you enquire and make an appointment, that way your dog can have a small introduction to the sights sounds and smells with you for just ten minutes.

Some groomers allow you to stay but most don't. In my experience, it makes the dog anxious because they want to get to you and climb off the table and they pick up on the owners fears and anxieties.I have allowed it in special cases but I generally don't allow it.

Thanks for the advice guys. It's been really helpful. I shall let you know how I get on :)