Sheffield decent homes

Has anyone had the same problems as me? My house was opened up on the 18th October! The demolition works men came in after the plasterer! All the tradesmen have been but not one job is finished meaning all the tradesmen have to come back! I had no cooker for 5 weeks, no cornice in cupboards they have left jobs they didn't want to do the tiler left the large windowsill as it wasn't level enough he got plaster boards instead!

The best one of all the workman came with the dimond drill to drill a hole in my bathroom for the fan and put the hole where the council plans say and not the YGI plans so the plumber came and fitted the bath the wrong way meaning the the shower would be next to the electric fan and they told me it would be ok and the tiler tiled!

Finally an inspector! Not one but four in the same week to do a snagging list they said the fan can't stop there so the dimond driller has been back out electrician has got to come back out and the tiler! Why not spin the bath around like it says on the plans? They gave me a lame excuse like people would see me in the shower! The council must have got money to burn and plenty of man power to have to do jobs twice!

I could go on and on no work men have been for the last two weeks, I'v been no left in a mess, where's the management? No health and safety about either!

And has anyone else been conned with there windows? They say mines timber sheffield pattern windows. Either the council got conned or I will let you come to your own conclusion!!! It also looks nice on propels outside round the new asda.

The man who wrote an article 10 years ago feeling sorry for those last on the list saying they would end up with rusty old washers on Taps was right! Good luck to the people who are having there houses opened up! :rolleyes:

and the company has just had its contract renewed for another few years

And has anyone else been conned with there windows? They say mines timber sheffield pattern windows. Either the council got conned or I will let you come to your own conclusion!!! It also looks nice on propels outside round the new asda.

:rolleyes:

what do you mean by any of this it makes no sense, your windows probably are Timber Sheff Pattern windows.

that isn't a con its correct what do you find wrong with them? the timber sheff patt construction are a better window than the uPVC as long as they are maintained correctly

also what is this "propels outside around the asda " you are writing gibberish.

have you spoke to someone from Housing services specifically someone from the Decent homes investment team also don't understand what you mean with regards to H&S if you feel its unsafe you can call them yourself 2734567 ask to be put through to the housing H&S tea.

---------- Post added 09-12-2013 at 20:58 ----------

and the company has just had its contract renewed for another few years

no it hasn't the team doing the decent homes work are separate to the teams that do repairs

What I mean is my windows are no good, I have contacted all relevant people and nothing has been done! Every home was allocated money to be spent on new windows,doors, etc so why all of a sudden are they just replacing the glass on the windows and patching the wooden frame up? Sadly it is a con as every home around the asda has new upvc windows and doors! My house was due to be signed over last week and is still halfway finished with no workmen in sight

no it hasn't the team doing the decent homes work are separate to the teams that do repairs

so its not kier doing this work ?

*Mod hat off*

No, Ricgem, not necessarily. There were a number of contractors doing the decent homes works, including Kier and Keepmoat.

What I mean is my windows are no good, I have contacted all relevant people and nothing has been done! Every home was allocated money to be spent on new windows,doors, etc so why all of a sudden are they just replacing the glass on the windows and patching the wooden frame up? Sadly it is a con as every home around the asda has new upvc windows and doors! My house was due to be signed over last week and is still halfway finished with no workmen in sight

why are they no good ? if they are showing signs of rot then they can be repaired either by splicing or by using timbercare/woodcare

they are replacing the glass by routing out and fitting better insulated glazing the frames are still of a good quality and are significantly better than uPVC for the u value, not all the house in Parson Cross had Sheff Patt windows the ones that didn't were replaced with uPVC.

Decent homes is only to ensure that properties are wind and water tight and have a good level of insulation.

---------- Post added 09-12-2013 at 22:51 ----------

kier LLP (repairs) are different to kier Investment

It's not just the windows that's the issue if the work had been done to the proper standard and I hadn't been left like this it's all one big joke and something needs doing about it! I feel for the elderly that have to live like this! When the other contractors went on strike! The man what was running the job on my house and my neighbours house promised me it would be done to a great standard! 2 days later no demolition 2 weeks later still nothing a week later the man who made these promises walked off the job! And it's not the work men's fault it's the so called educated people that are not smart enough to make sure the work runs smoothly and the elderly and vulnerable people are not left to live in squalor

kier LLP (repairs) are different to kier Investment

so it is kier :roll:

so it is kier :roll:

It shouldn't matter which company is actually doing the work, the responsibility for getting it right is down to the council.

---------- Post added 10-12-2013 at 08:04 ----------

It's not just the windows that's the issue if the work had been done to the proper standard and I hadn't been left like this it's all one big joke and something needs doing about it! I feel for the elderly that have to live like this! When the other contractors went on strike! The man what was running the job on my house and my neighbours house promised me it would be done to a great standard! 2 days later no demolition 2 weeks later still nothing a week later the man who made these promises walked off the job! And it's not the work men's fault it's the so called educated people that are not smart enough to make sure the work runs smoothly and the elderly and vulnerable people are not left to live in squalor

I'm wondering if you've taken this further, ie putting in a complaint? In case you haven't, here's an online link: https://www.sheffieldhomes.org.uk/myCommunity/HaveYourSay/ComplaintsPraiseAndSuggestions.aspx Its a good idea to get your complaints into the system, rather than just telling the workmen or inspectors who come to your house.

I would suggest you also contact one of your local councillors. Make a list of all the things that went wrong which still haven't been put right. You can find their contact details and the time and place of their surgeries here: http://councillors.sheffield.gov.uk/index.asp?pgid=215818 Just put in the name of the ward where you live.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

How much of this work is the OP paying for out of their own pocket again :rolleyes:

Thanks ms Mac Beth but I'v complained to all the right people and geared if you haven't got anything interesting to say then do one!