Japanese restaurant in Sheffield?

A similar thing does go for oysters and mussels too. Although I would say that, as I adore both.

With mussels and oysters, they can obviously absorb nasties from the water they grow in, as for all sea/water creatures. However apart from the nasties, like chemicals, sewage etc, with mussels and oysters, you can also swallow grit, which is not that bad when compared to other things. Best to rinse them well before cooking to get grit out.

However with oysters, mussels and other clamshell shellfish, like clams etc you do get the chance to reject the bad ones before eating them, as on death they no longer hold their shell closed, as everything relaxes. So with fresh shellfish of this type, open shells that don't close when you tap them are dead.

Dead shellfish attract bacteria in the water which begin to break them down and produce poisonous toxins. These bacteria carry on producing toxins once fished out of the water. Eating these toxins can be deadly, which is why lots of people have died eating mussels and oysters etc in history. They are perfectly fine to eat if alive when cooked. So always do the closure test if you see an open mussel or oyster shell before cooking them.

Tip: It is far easier for restaurant kitchen staff to do the closure test on bigger mussels. Tiny mussels are a faff to test as there are just so many of them in a portion. One or two could get missed. Restaurants don't give such menial tasks to top chefs, they leave it to casual kitchen staff. If the mussels are tiny. don't order them, it's not worth the risk.

In the 1880s in Durban, S Africa, 8 children from the same family died of eating contaminated mussels. I know because it was a branch of my family.:(

One of the largest absorbtion menaces now in our oceans are micro-beads. These are the tiny beads made of plastics that wash into our oceans from sewage outlets and float on the surface. Fish think they are food and eat them. They are contained in face and body scrubs bought in their millions every day by people who can't be bothered to use face flannels to exfoliate as they wash. In my day we didn't have face scrubs, just flannels.

If you're going to use face/body scrubs, make sure they are ground up nut shells, or something similar, which fish don't eat or absorb, as they don't float like micro-beads do. We eat fish, so we subsequently absorb the plastics which are chemicals.

---------- Post added 31-08-2016 at 01:10 ----------

A similar thing does go for oysters and mussels too. Although I would say that, as I adore both.

With mussels and oysters, they can obviously absorb nasties from the water they grow in, as for all sea/water creatures. However apart from the nasties, like chemicals, sewage etc, with mussels and oysters, you can also swallow grit, which is not that bad when compared to other things. Best to rinse them well before cooking to get grit out.

However with oysters, mussels and other clamshell shellfish, like clams etc you do get the chance to reject the bad ones before eating them, as on death they no longer hold their shell closed, as everything relaxes. So with fresh shellfish of this type, open shells that don't close when you tap them are dead.

Dead shellfish attract bacteria in the water which begin to break them down and produce poisonous toxins. These bacteria carry on producing toxins once fished out of the water. Eating these toxins can be deadly, which is why lots of people have died eating mussels and oysters etc in history. They are perfectly fine to eat if alive when cooked. So always do the closure test if you see an open mussel or oyster shell before cooking them.

Tip: It is far easier for restaurant kitchen staff to do the closure test on bigger mussels. Tiny mussels are a faff to test as there are just so many of them in a portion. One or two could get missed. Restaurants don't give such menial tasks to top chefs, they leave it to casual kitchen staff. If the mussels are tiny. don't order them, it's not worth the risk.

In the 1880s in Durban, S Africa, 8 children from the same family died of eating contaminated mussels. I know because it was a branch of my family.:(

Edited by Jeddo

I found Sumo San on the road past the train station to be very good - especially the Teppanyaki!

Yes. When its operating. I've tried to book a Tepanyaki table 3 times in the last 6 months or so. Each time there's been some excuse as to why it's not available, including one which was down to the chef being ill from consuming the smoke from the Tepanyaki table!

Look, if they haven't got sufficient demand for teppanyaki then fine - don't offer it. But to call themselves a teppanyaki but not have it is not good for them.

I have had teppanyaki there twice and it was good. Pity they can't put it in regularly.

Edited by WestTinsley
.deleted