Blades v Leicester's Kids - Insult Trophy 30/8/16

As if it wasn't a shambles of a trophy already as we all know the competition has hit all new lows this season as kiddies / B teams have been invited into the competition.

Let's hope that we treat it accordingly however Knill stated in an interview that "six players from the weekends game had to remain for the fixture to avoid a fine"... which kind of suggests that Wilder is planning to stay the right side of the rules unfortunately.

If it was me I would be fielding our development squad and taking the £5000 fine as the competition holds no significance what so ever for us and it is a complete shame that we couldn't opt out of it in the same respects that the top flight B teams were allowed to opt in.

Anyway...I can't see why they would want to but Leicester are allowed to field 4 of their first team players should they wish to and the fact that it is an international break might persuade them to throw in a couple of pitch time but quite frankly who cares!

As if it wasn't a shambles of a trophy already as we all know the competition has hit all new lows this season as kiddies / B teams have been invited into the competition.

Let's hope that we treat it accordingly however Knill stated in an interview that "six players from the weekends game had to remain for the fixture to avoid a fine"... which kind of suggests that Wilder is planning to stay the right side of the rules unfortunately.

If it was me I would be fielding our development squad and taking the £5000 fine as the competition holds no significance what so ever for us and it is a complete shame that we couldn't opt out of it in the same respects that the top flight B teams were allowed to opt in.

Anyway...I can't see why they would want to but Leicester are allowed to field 4 of their first team players should they wish to and the fact that it is an international break might persuade them to throw in a couple of pitch time but quite frankly who cares!

Radio Sheffield aren't doing any coverage of the games either..

I don't know whose idea this competition is but most clubs are against the format and hopefully the fans will vote with their feet.

For anyone wondering in regards to the attendance at BDTBL for this sham of a competition, only the John Street is open to Blades fans and with only a very small handful of Leicester fans the attendance might be nearer 5,000.

For anyone wondering in regards to the attendance at BDTBL for this sham of a competition, only the John Street is open to Blades fans and with only a very small handful of Leicester fans the attendance might be nearer 5,000.

5k?

I doubt it. Unless it's free for season ticket holders, that might bring a few in.

Alan Biggs on Twitter estimates about 1000 there.

What a joke!

Even in last year's format, it's only [perhaps] worth a trip to Wembley if you get to final (for smaller clubs)

This cup has been declining for years, and this format (which I've just read as an reminder) is garbage.

I've never in 42 years wished the Blades to lose, and don't now, but if we can get out of this, early the better. Another key season for us, and 5 first team players risk injury due to this stupid thing. 3 times as well!

edit, also I hope these attendances don't influence statistics. I don't think these are 1st team games really.

Surely it must be costing the club money to put this tie on.

3632 there tonight including 177 away fans who surely need locking up for their own safety

I'm glad the fans have voted with their on this one.

The trophy itself has been in decline for years and this new format is an absolute joke of an idea.

Hopefully a decline in crowds (5k plus last season, albeit in the second round) will show the powers that be, that this idea is a joke.

---------- Post added 30-08-2016 at 21:26 ----------

3632 there tonight including 177 away fans who surely need locking up for their own safety

Very disappointing that it is so 'high'

blimey, that's quite high :confused:

Probably cheapo tickets.

To be fair though, kids might have fancied seeing Blades play the prem champs (name only) so might explain the high crowd.

(tbh I probably would have gone when I was a regular when young)

Game finished 0-0 in normal time and we ended up losing 5-4 on penalties (Why a league format needs penalties is beyond anyone but hey ho, let's just make a mockery of something else).

Anyway despite the scoreline we actually played really well and created plenty of chances, their keeper had a very decent game and we missed plenty of chances as well which was slightly disappointing.

Shambles and insult of a competition but at least the half a dozen who played Saturday carried a bit of form into this and didn't do themselves an injustice looking at Sunday's real game of football.