Oh Dear.. now I know I'm old

Trying to identify a couple of cars from an old photograph, I type 'vintage cars' into Google..... Oh dear, I remember most of them.

I was looking at a beatifully restored Jaguar etype recently, and it made me feel very old remembering them from my youth!! Went to the Lowedges festival last week, some cracking 'classics' Anglias, Austin, Hillmans etc, all of which I have had or were family cars........those were the days!!

I had an immaculate Jaguar Mk 7 in 1961 at 18 yrs old,it was British racing green polished to an inch of its life with Johnstons one step solid wax!.I had to take out an endowment policy with Britanic Insurance to get a third party car insurance because of my age,so penalising young drivers is not a new thing!.I was very popular with the ladies at this time,I like to think it was my looks but I doubt it,the back seat area was enormous and it received a lot of use!.Now its my turn to feel old,it seems centuries ago which it nearly is!.

I had an immaculate Jaguar Mk 7 in 1961 at 18 yrs old,it was British racing green polished to an inch of its life with Johnstons one step solid wax!.I had to take out an endowment policy with Britanic Insurance to get a third party car insurance because of my age,so penalising young drivers is not a new thing!.I was very popular with the ladies at this time,I like to think it was my looks but I doubt it,the back seat area was enormous and it received a lot of use!.Now its my turn to feel old,it seems centuries ago which it nearly is!.

Gosh I was making 3 quid a week in 1961, what were you doing to afford a Jag? Mind you I was 16 that year, but 2 years later I was still only making 6 quid a week. I was 23 when I got my first car, a 5 year old Austin Cambridge lol

my wage in 61= £1.17.6 i dont think it would have bought the steering wheel:D

Ah the Autin Cambridge, my father had about three of those..........lovely!! They were built like tanks.

Gosh I was making 3 quid a week in 1961, what were you doing to afford a Jag? Mind you I was 16 that year, but 2 years later I was still only making 6 quid a week. I was 23 when I got my first car, a 5 year old Austin Cambridge lol

My girlfriends father was a car dealer who helped me quite a lot,buying cars at auction in Leeds,renovating them and selling them on,I never had to pay cash only so much a week!.I had sold a few myself before I acquired the Jag one of which was an Austin A50,a nice motor shiny black,I was a fool to let that go but I had to have a Jag!.In the end I spent most of my money running it,it did 15 miles to the gallon and that was with overdrive on it so sadly it had to go,but it was fun while it lasted!.:banana:

Last week I visited Chillingham Castle in Northumberland, some of the rooms housed a museum and it was an 'oh my god' moment when I spotted same typewriter I used when I was an office junior.

Ah the Autin Cambridge, my father had about three of those..........lovely!! They were built like tanks.

Yes that body shape lasted quite a few years, There was also the Morris Oxford, a Wolseley and I think a Riley, main difference was the radiator grille on each model. Of course they were all British Leyland cars anyway. The same shape was seen on bigger cars like the Austin Westminster, famously used by the Flying Squad.

my wage in 61= £1.17.6 i dont think it would have bought the steering wheel:D

Found my contract from my first job the other day

£858 / year about 17 quid a week

Rolling in it weren't ya? LOL:D

'17 quid a week' darra, what year was that, not like the pre-historic times of the likes of TorontoTony, myself and others ....and 'contract' ?