Inflatable dinghy's in sea..yes or no

Given the tragedy's that have happened over the weekend. I am ofcourse referring to the 6 who died in the coastal waters.

We are due to go away shortly (St Ives) my son has pestered the life out of me and his mother to buy an inflatable dinghy to play in the sea. Which we have done. Nothing extravagant just a simple 2 man dinghy which came with a pair of light weight oars and a pump. We've also purchased 3 life preservers and 3 wet/dry suits?? It's all cheap n cheerful stuff. However I'm becoming somewhat nervous. I've taken the liberty of also buying 70ft of orange paracord along with a stake which I'm hoping I can use to tether the dinghy to the beach. I cannot stress enough that under no circumstances will my 9yr old son be left alone at any time whilst he's in the sea. I only intend to go out as far as chest deep. I'm sure that's plenty deep enough to frolic in the water.

I'd like to know what others think of using a dinghy in the sea and more importantly tethering it to the shoreline. Is it a bad idea.

I sent an email to St Ives tourist information last week and never got a reply.

A few years ago we went to Devon when our children was around 9 and 11. We bought a small dingy and surf boards we had so much fun and made loads of memories. I never let my children in the sea alone. We stayed chest height and they could both swim. Go have fun just stick between flags on beach and you'll be fine. Remember although these accidents are tragic they are not daily occurrence's.

I regularly go to St Ives, we go to St ives holiday park in Hayle, just outside St ives.

For me it's a big no no, it's a surfers and bodyboarders beach where we go and the waves hit 3-4ft on a relatively calm day, and at chest deep mate they're more 5-6ft and very strong.

Get your son a good body board and only go in the sea when the life guards are there and stay within the boundaries, have fun and enjoy it but respect that big blue monster at all times.

On a side note I'm proper jealous, we ended up in Looe this year as St Ives was fully booked.

Have a great holiday.

I regularly go to St Ives, we go to St ives holiday park in Hayle, just outside St ives.

For me it's a big no no, it's a surfers and bodyboarders beach where we go and the waves hit 3-4ft on a relatively calm day, and at chest deep mate they're more 5-6ft and very strong.

Get your son a good body board and only go in the sea when the life guards are there and stay within the boundaries, have fun and enjoy it but respect that big blue monster at all times.

On a side note I'm proper jealous, we ended up in Looe this year as St Ives was fully booked.

Have a great holiday.

Hayle...that's where we're going!

Can't remember the parks name but we're staying in what looks like prefabs amongst the sand dunes.

Right, I'll fully take on board your advice. But as I've already bought this dinghy are there any rock pools as such that it could be used. We intend to do the body boarding too...thats the real reason for buying the wet suits :) we're also taking our bikes too...is that a good idea or not?

Dinghy in the sea is safe if you consider the layout of the coast, wind, and the tide times.

Play while the tide is coming in and the wind is blowing onto the shore. Don't go out if its choppy.

St Ives has two beaches facing different directions, so one of them should be OK, providing you keep away from the surfers who like to own the water.

If there are life guards at the beach - ask them. Failing that, look at the sea, take the weather conditions into account and use your noggin.

There was a weather warning over much of the U.K. this weekend because of the wind.

RBLI are always issuing warnings about them

i.e

Richard Martin from Newbiggin lifeboat station repeated the RNLI Sea safety message on the use of such inflatables in the sea. 'Inflatables and airbeds are great fun in swimming pools however in the sea these items are definitely not suitable, especially on days like today where there is a strong offshore wind or even when the sea is rough. If people 'must' use such items then they should be secured with a sturdy rope to a fixed point on the shore along with some shore side adult supervision.'

Id be mortified if this was me

http://rnli.org/NewsCentre/Pages/St-Ives-inshore-lifeboat-launched-to-woman-in-inflatable-dinghy.aspx

Dinghy in the sea is safe if you consider the layout of the coast, wind, and the tide times.

Play while the tide is coming in and the wind is blowing onto the shore. Don't go out if its choppy.

St Ives has two beaches facing different directions, so one of them should be OK, providing you keep away from the surfers who like to own the water.

THIS

You can start on a tether. If stake won't hold one of you can stay on beach, other one in dinghy.

This will let you get a good feel of things.

Remember that you won't do anything against wind and tide if they come together.

We went into sea in cheap inflatables and it was quite safe.

If you can wash of sea salt when you are done with garden hose.

Given the tragedy's that have happened over the weekend. I am ofcourse referring to the 6 who died in the coastal waters.

We are due to go away shortly (St Ives) my son has pestered the life out of me and his mother to buy an inflatable dinghy to play in the sea. Which we have done. Nothing extravagant just a simple 2 man dinghy which came with a pair of light weight oars and a pump. We've also purchased 3 life preservers and 3 wet/dry suits?? It's all cheap n cheerful stuff. However I'm becoming somewhat nervous. I've taken the liberty of also buying 70ft of orange paracord along with a stake which I'm hoping I can use to tether the dinghy to the beach. I cannot stress enough that under no circumstances will my 9yr old son be left alone at any time whilst he's in the sea. I only intend to go out as far as chest deep. I'm sure that's plenty deep enough to frolic in the water.

I'd like to know what others think of using a dinghy in the sea and more importantly tethering it to the shoreline. Is it a bad idea.

I sent an email to St Ives tourist information last week and never got a reply.

The risk of dying on the way to your holiday (in a car accident) is greater than the risk of dying because you're playing in a dingy. Just to put it in perspective.

Obviously follow the good safety advice and use common sense, like don't use the dingy with a strong offshore wind or if conditions are poor...

Edited by Cyclone

The risk of dying on the way to your holiday (in a car accident) is greater than the risk of dying because you're playing in a dingy. Just to put it in perspective.

Obviously follow the good safety advice and use common sense, like don't use the dingy with a strong offshore wind or if conditions are poor...

That depends a lot on where you play with your dinghy... I grew up on the coast of the very sedate Waddenzee and even there you had to know where to go and not go to avoid riptides and so on. The Cornish coast is Atlantic, it has (and is famous for) waves. Put a big wave together with the vicinity of a riptide and you have a recipe for disaster, even on a nice sunny beach.

The best advice here is to talk to the local lifeguards, that is what they are there for.

Re OP. Sharing our experiences similar to what you are proposing, at St Ives, Newquay, St Malo, Lac du Duc Ploermel and Jersey. We tried to get more information when we set out but found response lacking. I'll break it down, but just because we did it doesn't mean it is safe for you to do the same.

We have a 2 man canoe and a 6 man dinghy (quality inflatables).

The dinghy is very badly affected by wind and current, unless the sea is completely flat and there is no wind it can get very hard to control and you can quickly drift. Canoe is much easier but still needs care.

St Ives holiday park in Hayle. The park backs onto the sea and there is a huge beach, we have not used boat on this beach. I remember it does get windy . Do not go anywhere near estuary at Hayle and don't be tempted to try the large pool near the dock area, it is lethal. Don't mean the Copperhouse pool, not sure if you are allowed on there.

St Ives (sorry can't remember beach names), when the tide is low we went from the bay where the shops are (little harbour tide out ) to the next bay to the RIGHT (as you look out to sea) in water about waist height, we pulled the boat with the rope or just dragged it whilst someone is sat in it. This felt quite safe to us and we went back and forth a few times and have done more than one year.

Newquay, not too far away. The top of the Gannel estuary ( inland past Penpol Creek tide out) where it widens out before it meets the river. This is quite shallow and we found easy to use, again though be careful of tides and wind. We can use dinghy on rope if don't go to far from shore (other canoes etc go up and down the river, which is now blocked part way up). Definitely not the other end end where estuary meets the sea. Gannel is very tidal. We needed a tow from the small ferry first time we tried, a very embarassing but very useful lesson.

Lac du Duc, think this is a large open lake on the river, quite shallow near edges but badly affected by wind in dinghy, took it out but wished I hadn't. Canoe was much easier though.

Gorey harbour in Jersey, just last week. Took my son out in canoe and kept control but not much fun in the strengthening wind. Tipped it over too, but managed to get back in, but this can be very difficult when you can't touch the bottom. Didn't and would't have used the dinghy.

Keep between the flags. At all times be aware of what is going on around you, as conditions can quickly change. If if doesn't feel right on the day, then be disappointed and walk away. We did exactly this is St Malo 2 weeks ago after carrying the bloomin thing over 200m.

Bear in mind current can be very strong at chest height, stronger than you. Be very cautious and PATIENT with your first attempt if you do give it a go and don't get too confident too early. Give it a try in shallow pools first with tide out and sea not connected.

Can be great fun when done safely, only shared my experiences, you have to make your own decision on the day, good luck.