Pub of the Year 2014

I see it was Kelham Island Tavern, according to CAMRA, after Shakespeares won it last time.

Wouldn`t be my choice but what do other discerning drinkers reckon?

I reckon Sheffield CAMRA have an unhealthy obsession with the place!

Don't get me wrong, it's a great pub, and in a lot of places really would walk over the competition, but with Sheffield's world-class pub scene (especially in the Valley of Beer!) can any pub really be 10 times better than the nearest rival??

Great pub but the landlord's got a face like a wet weekend.

I think in the judges eyes the Kelham edges it because as well as good beer it is clean and comfortable and also has consumer friendly policies such as oversized glasses ensuring you get the full measure you pay for.

The top 6 Sheffield pubs were:

1 - Kelham Island Tavern

2 - Shakespeares

3 - The Blake Hotel

4 - Fat Cat

5 - Sheffield Tap

6 - Rising Sun (Nether Green)

The top 3 District (Derbyshire part of Sheffield & District) pubs were

1 - Anglers Rest (Millers Dale)

2 - Three Stags Head (Wardlow Mires)

3 - The Grouse (Longshaw)

The Dronfield & District winner was

1 - Travellers Rest (Apperknowle)

I reckon Sheffield CAMRA have an unhealthy obsession with the place!

Don't get me wrong, it's a great pub, and in a lot of places really would walk over the competition, but with Sheffield's world-class pub scene (especially in the Valley of Beer!) can any pub really be 10 times better than the nearest rival??

Fair comment. It's a very good pub but it's not even the best in Kelham Island IMHO. My own personal favourites are Shakespeare's and the Harlequin.

Also, never mind Sheffield CAMRA, it has plenty of regional and national CAMRA awards to it's name as well.

Fair comment. It's a very good pub but it's not even the best in Kelham Island IMHO. My own personal favourites are Shakespeare's and the Harlequin.

Also, never mind Sheffield CAMRA, it has plenty of regional and national CAMRA awards to it's name as well.

don't mention the regional competition! how some gaff in Barnsley beat the Shakey I'll never know...

---------- Post added 10-04-2014 at 12:42 ----------

For British beer, the Shakey is the best by far. Foreign beer is obviously outside the CAMRA criteria, but I'd say the Tap wins that one. Best pub food - the Rutland.

---------- Post added 10-04-2014 at 12:43 ----------

I think in the judges eyes the Kelham edges it because as well as good beer it is clean and comfortable and also has consumer friendly policies such as oversized glasses ensuring you get the full measure you pay for.

The top 6 Sheffield pubs were:

1 - Kelham Island Tavern

2 - Shakespeares

3 - The Blake Hotel

4 - Fat Cat

5 - Sheffield Tap

6 - Rising Sun (Nether Green)

The top 3 District (Derbyshire part of Sheffield & District) pubs were

1 - Anglers Rest (Millers Dale)

2 - Three Stags Head (Wardlow Mires)

3 - The Grouse (Longshaw)

The Dronfield & District winner was

1 - Travellers Rest (Apperknowle)

so out of interest, did the KIT win the popular vote, or did the judges overrule the masses (I think I know the answer, but confirmation would be good! alternatively, next year I'll be the judge! ;) )

don't mention the regional competition! how some gaff in Barnsley beat the Shakey I'll never know...

Can't comment on Old No. 7 as I've never been there. It will be interesting to see if the Kelham Island Tavern wins Yorkshire CAMRA pub of the year again or if it's somewhere else.

---------- Post added 10-04-2014 at 12:49 ----------

For British beer, the Shakey is the best by far. Foreign beer is obviously outside the CAMRA criteria, but I'd say the Tap wins that one. Best pub food - the Rutland.

Rutland for food yes. Shakespeare's beer range is not as consistently great as the Harlequin's IMHO, but it beats the Harlequin in terms of atmosphere hands down.

I'm not a Camra member, but I love my real ale and for me KIT takes it.

I'd say beer wise there's little to choose between KIT and Shakespeare, but KIT is a nicer pub inside and the beer garden at Shakespeare is minging.

The last couple of times I've been to the Harlequin I've been less than impressed with the beer selection and although the Fat Cat has the best beer garden, the choice of ales on offer is very hit and miss and it has the most ridiculous bar of any pub.

Regards

Doom

Shakespeare's beer range is not as consistently great as the Harlequin's IMHO, but it beats the Harlequin in terms of atmosphere hands down.

not sure I'd agree. Shakey regularly has top breweries like North Riding (best brewery in North Yorkshire), Hopcraft (best brewery in WAles), Raw (best brewery in Derbyshire), Mallinsons (best brewer in West Yorkshire), Rat, Arbor, (and Steel City of course ;) ), plus often some interesting Foreign beer (I'm not a fan of Flying Dog, but really like their Mango Habanero IPA that's on at Shakey now).

I suppose if I liked cider I might think differently, but I don't, so I don't!

The Quin had the best beer range in Sheffield when Hannah was running it, now Chris has moved from the Quin to the Shakey and the beer range has gone with him ;)

I like the Kelham as a pub but I can't say that I've ever had pint in there that was anything better than drinkable. The range tends to be very samey.

I much prefer Shakespeares/Rutland/Bath/Sheaf but then I'm not in CAMRA so I didn't vote!

Im moving practically next door to 'Shakespeares' in a few weeks.

Ive never been in so looking forward to going there & Kelham Island Tavern.

Edited by Clown Shoes

not sure I'd agree. Shakey regularly has top breweries like North Riding (best brewery in North Yorkshire), Hopcraft (best brewery in WAles), Raw (best brewery in Derbyshire), Mallinsons (best brewer in West Yorkshire), Rat, Arbor, (and Steel City of course ;) ), plus often some interesting Foreign beer (I'm not a fan of Flying Dog, but really like their Mango Habanero IPA that's on at Shakey now).

I suppose if I liked cider I might think differently, but I don't, so I don't!

The Quin had the best beer range in Sheffield when Hannah was running it, now Chris has moved from the Quin to the Shakey and the beer range has gone with him ;)

I thought you'd have Hopcraft as your favourite Welsh brewery! ;)

Some days you go in Shakespeare's and there are 5 or 6 beers you really want to try.

Other days maybe 1 or 2 you want to drink, and of those will be Abbeydale Moonshine.

In the Harlequin there are almost always a few I really want to drink, usually from Brew Company or Great Heck. Not to mention a few Kernel bottles and maybe even some Summer Wine on keg if you are lucky.

So therefore I find the Harlequin's beer range more consistently good, but Shakespeare's much friendlier.

Edited by Stoatwobbler