Screaming Trampolining Children!

As discussed on Radio 2 the other day...

We are fortunate to have neighbours whose small children do not scream when they jump on their trampoline, but apparently it is a growing phenomenon in some residential areas.

I'm all for kids being outside in the fine weather and having a good time, but yet again selfishness prevails on the parents' part - why do they let their kids (plus their kids' friends who have come along to play) scream for hours on end when bouncing (it's not compulsory) and why don't they teach them young about being good neighbours?

I bet they would be the first to moan if the neighbours played their own choice of music very loudly, outside, all day long.

It struck me that the reason children's noise is more of a problem now than it used to be is not only that they are allowed to scream when playing, but that children used to play out (largely unsupervised) in the streets/in the local playground. Then (1980s?) we all became fearful of putting them at risk from paedophiles and traffic and most children are not allowed out by themselves nowadays.

Views welcome.

Edited by aliceBB

Sure you're not just a teensie bit jealous Alice ?:)

I can't watch Wimbledon, when adults grunt out loud. Maybe bad parenting.

I can't watch Wimbledon, when adults grunt out loud. Maybe bad parenting.

Or exhibitionism.

Look at me I'm hitting a ball.:rolleyes:

Screaming kids are good news, its when they go quiet you have to see what they are up to.

I'd rather they were screaming on a trampoline than out causing trouble and being anti social (which seems to be a favourite hobby round here sadly).

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

And their parents know where they are .................

I'd rather they were screaming on a trampoline than out causing trouble and being anti social (which seems to be a favourite hobby round here sadly).

But screaming interminably in an earsplitting way is antisocial, unless you are doing it outside the earshot of any other human being. Which most of us do not.

What's your definition of 'antisocial', out of interest?

Edited by aliceBB

definition of antisocial is when someone else's behaviour impacts on others in a negative way.:) I love hearing children laughing and having fun. I'm happy when the neighbours have Bbq's and music and chatting is a bit above normal. But if I have to shut all my windows and doors because the noise is impacting on me then I call that anti social.

definition of antisocial is when someone else's behaviour impacts on others in a negative way.:) I love hearing children laughing and having fun. I'm happy when the neighbours have Bbq's and music and chatting is a bit above normal. But if I have to shut all my windows and doors because the noise is impacting on me then I call that anti social.

I agree. I can listen to children chatting and laughing all day. But being subjected to endless wild high-pitched screaming and squealing, such as was being described by some of the people who contacted the programme, is horrible, tiring and depressing. One woman had to move house in the end as the parents concerned were impervious to her polite requests for the noise to be kept under control.

It was as much the fact that it went on all day long and well into the evening, as the volume and pitch, which was so misery-inducing.

Is it symptomatic of the same attitude which thinks it's OK to ruin a football match for others by sounding vuvuselas ceaselessly?

Edited by aliceBB

I would not class children screaming ,laughing and having fun,anti social at all.Maybe a little annoying if it goes on a long time.But we have all been children at some stage.

I am a childminder so its all in a days work for me.

Sure you're not just a teensie bit jealous Alice ?:)

Jealous of what or whom?! :)