Great thing in Asda

A couple of hours ago me & wife were in Asda at Handsworth, there was a young mum with her little boy who was sat in the trolley. He had the tears flowing as he wanted something and she wasn't giving in to him.

We were in the salad area buying tea, the woman bent down picked up half a cucumber opened it, put wrapper in trolley to pay for and handed cucumber to said little boy.

She said here you're not having chocolates, we saw them at various intervals & he was happily chomping down on the cucumber happy as Larry. It is hot and chocolate would just have made him thirsty, plus cucumber would help his dry mouth.

No tantrums from the mum, just cool head and a pleasure to see, no bad language credit where it's due, and it's due to her.

Apart from that she stole a cucumber. You should pay for food before consuming it. </miserable old sod>

I always get really annoyed seeing kids in trolleys stuffing their face on chocolate, handed to them by mum or dad, just to keep them quiet. Cucumber is much better, teaching them that whining for food isn't going to get them anything even better!

I always get really annoyed seeing kids in trolleys stuffing their face on chocolate, handed to them by mum or dad, just to keep them quiet. Cucumber is much better, teaching them that whining for food isn't going to get them anything even better!

but isn't it teaching him that whining for food just gets you cucumber?

which is a food and a very nice one, though I suppose some people will have a different opinion of it.

---------- Post added 24-07-2014 at 15:40 ----------

Apart from that she stole a cucumber. You should pay for food before consuming it. </miserable old sod>

you don't know she actually stole it. She could have paid for it at the till

No tantrums from the mum, just cool head and a pleasure to see, no bad language credit where it's due, and it's due to her.

There's no credit due for not swearing at a child. That's not even a base standard for parenting, it's just how adults should behave.

Why don't you take your sun glasses off and read the OP properly?

Now read my post again, CONCENTRATE on the 2nd paragraph, the one where I say she puts wrapper in trolley to pay for it at till, and you won't look such a pudding.

---------- Post added 24-07-2014 at 16:04 ----------

There's no credit due for not swearing at a child. That's not even a base standard for parenting, it's just how adults should behave.

Would YOU like a diagram as well, Christ some dipsticks just won't give credit to other people, looking for bad in everything, and you see it regularly women effing & blinding at kids.

Edited by Bypassblade

Would YOU like a diagram as well, Christ some dipsticks just won't give credit to other people, looking for bad in everything, and you see it regularly women effing & blinding at kids.

Sexist! I usually see men doing it! ;)

I agree though, reading skills are poor today, I was thinking of pointing out the fact that you mentioned the wrapper explicitly, but was fairly sure you could do it :)

You may well see that, it's certainly NOT normal though, and not swearing at your children is not something that deserves particular note or credit.

I can tell you how many times my parents have ever sworn at me (and I'm in my thirties now), none. Not once, ever.

And that is entirely normal.

The minority who do swear at their children (and probably all the time in general) receive opprobrium, not the majority receive credit.

The minority who do swear at their children (and probably all the time in general) receive opprobrium, not the majority receive credit.

I've not heard of that one...

... is it a bit like Valium? :huh:

Cucumber can give some people really bad stomach ache.

Every weekend when I go shopping I'll eat samosas & pakoras walking round Morrisons and pay for them at the till and have not once been told I'm stealing or shouldn't be eating them on the way round. The cashier just scans the label then throws the packet in the bin.